Defender Source Forum banner

LED Plug and play? does it exist?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rwollschlager 
#1 ·
OK guys, 91 110 tithonis, 2.5 NA getting ready to migrate from its summer place in Michigan, to sunny rust free California.

No trailer queen here, I will be driving it, towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it, in Mid December no less.

Since its going to require lots of hours, obviously it will be dark for a significant portion of the journey.

So I'm thinking now would be the perfect time to upgrade the external lights - headlanmps tail lighte etc. I would like to go to LED.

I searched here for LED, but obviously, any post with those letters in it came up.
So , is there any true plug and play solutions, or will it require adding in some bits and pieces.
sources? reviews? ideas are all welcome.

comments on my sanity are also accepted, but typically ignored!

#3 ·
I guess it depends what you call plug and play. You can buy complete kits with all the lights and a relay. They all require a bit of fiddling to mount and wire up as the lights are designed for the 1995 and later style or NAS style lights and wiring. There are a few different manufacturers of side lights and they come in "Rest of World" or "NAS" styles.

If you are 100% LED side lights, you will need load resistors or the RDX LED dash light.

Headlights should go straight in. There are a dozen choices.

#5 ·
I would toss some LED Headlights in before the trip starts, but unless there is an issue with the current lights I would probably just leave the running lights alone until you get home! If you don't plan to take the interstate, some spot lamps/light bar would be helpful in rural areas where there are lots of animals.

#6 · (Edited)
all good points, thanks for the help, so I'm thinking just go with LED headlights, the running lights and brake lights all work fine.

so sources? There are a bunch of them offered on EBay - they say they fit, but I want to make sure it won't be some sort of botched up bodge job. I assume i want them with an H4 to H13 adaptor?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Land-Ro...d=272687694703&_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598

and yeah it's going to be slow, but I have hauled this setup up and down Michigan, with a canoe on top to boot - runs at 62 MPH thats it's happy place. When I get to the mountains, it's gunna be torture, thats why i like it! it's going to be like winning the lottery for members close to I-80, never know which one of you will be closest to my breakdown!

#7 ·
all good points, thanks for the help, so I'm thinking just go with LED headlights, the running lights and brake lights all work fine.

so sources? There are a bunch of them offered on EBay - they say they fit, but I want to make sure it won't be some sort of botched up bodge job.

and yeah it's going to be slow, but I have hauled this setup up and down Michigan, with a canoe on top to boot - runs at 62 MPH thats it's happy place. When I get to the mountains, it's gunna be torture, thats why i like it! it's going to be like winning the lottery for members close to I-80, never know which one of you will be closest to my breakdown!
I think the cheapest "name brand" LED Headlights are the TruckLite 7" LED headlights, for roughly $320-$350 for the pair. Chinese knock offs of various 7" LED headlights can be had on ebay for sub $100 last I checked. Whatever you buy make sure it is DOT approved.

#9 ·
I don't have experience with the specific headlights you linked to, but IIRC any 7" round light with an H4 plug will fit right in. I have the trucklite 7" round LED headlamps with the H4 plugs fitted to a few of my series, and love them.

I'm right off of I-80 in Omaha, NE if you need tools or shop space on your way through!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.