LED install issue: Please Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2018, 07:29 PM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

LED install issue: Please Help

Installing new LED lights to replace my old stock lights on a 95 NAS.
Turn signals work, hazards work, reverse light works
Everything went smoothly until I check my tail light. I can have my tail light on OR brake light but not both working properly. Iím speaking singular because Iím still waiting delivery on one of the LED taillights. If I switch the one that I have to the other side, same scenario.

Iíve searched the threads but donít see my exact scenario so what am I messing up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Two possibilities. One you have a bad ground on those lights. They share the same ground and when it is poor, the lights ground through the other one.

Two, you have it wired wrong. The wire colors usually are wrong on the new lights, so you must check them first.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:04 PM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

John,
Thank you for chiming in. Is there a standard location for NAS models where the tail lights are usually ground at?

Iíll quadruple check the wiring as I thought that might have been it after reading some posts but when I change the wires I only get three options.

1) no light
2) tail light on (low light)
3) brake light on (intense light)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Go over all of the black wires in the back and give them all a good tug on the connectors to make sure there are no loose wires or bullets that are loose. I'm no expert on the NAS wiring. My trucks have ground to the body under the wiring covers in the back, plus there is a ground that runs up the loom.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 20th, 2018, 03:48 AM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

update

Got this all sorted. I just double checked the wiring and cleaned the connectors really well. Wired up and they work fine; much brighter and Iím glad the new units are waterproof.

Thanks John

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions