LED Bulb Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:45 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

LED Bulb Issue

Ok, I know there are a million posts on the LED issue, but I don't remember seeing any on this, radio interference. I had swapped out all the bulbs on my 94 for LEDs ala Superbright and after sorting out the issue with the front turn signals, all was fine. However, I have been getting a strong interference on my radio whenever I use the brakes. Since I had done nummerous other things on the truck during this period, my first thought was the solonoid on the shift interlock ( ZF Trans) which engages withg the brake switch. So yesterday I removed it, started the truck, turned on the radio, depressed the brake pedal and the interference was still present. Today I removed the 1157 LEDs in my taillight and put back the original incandescents and guess what?. No more interference. Has anyone else had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
interference is usually an issue with grounding/ earth. I'll bet your radio shares a ground. give it a dedicated solid ground and I'll bet it goes away.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:55 PM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
interference is usually an issue with grounding/ earth. I'll bet your radio shares a ground. give it a dedicated solid ground and I'll bet it goes away.
It does have a dedicated ground, that's what is strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2011, 03:54 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Your truck is quiet enough to hear the radio? While it's running?
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:54 AM
kevkon
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Your truck is quiet enough to hear the radio? While it's running?
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's quiet, but I certainly don't have a problem with hearing the radio.

So, anyway I found the problem. I had a couple spare 1157 type LEDs and I swapped them. Finally found that only one of the bulbs was causing this interfernce. No idea why.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions