LED Bulb for 1997 Speedo? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 30th, 2011, 02:07 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

LED Bulb for 1997 Speedo?

Following this great thread on LED bulbs:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=82

I started replacing some in my instrument cluster. However, the 1997 speedo is of course different... it's a weird looking bulb. Picture attached after I wrestled one of the bulbs out of it's plastic housing.

Anyone know the LED replacement/equivalent of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo-bulb.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	45417  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
When I get time to rip the dash apart again and work out which one of these it is, I will let you know....

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speedo LEDs.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	45874  
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

lol... you just bought them all to see which fits? spectacular! look forward to hearing...

i can confirm that it's NOT "168/194 Miniature Wedge Base Sockets" ... i tried that one, but it's way too big.

also - if you're doing your other gauges, I'd highly recommend the cool-white bulbs vs. the green bulbs. The green felt too intense/radioactive for me, the white is more subtle as there is plenty of reflective green paint on the dials to give a nice glow.

[btw - sorry this ended up in Series vs. Defender... I can't seem to move it...]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
The difference in the dimensions of the part that fits into the gauge on SuperBrights info pages was so small that I couldn't measure it with any certainty and be sure I was getting the right one. Guarantee if I picked one it would be wrong and I would end up paying more shipping to order them all until the right one turned up (last according to Murphy). The bulbs where cheaper than the shipping so I just got all 4 of the ones that are about the right type.

I have all the rest done. I actually like the green ones better in mine as they are so bright now I can have them set on dim and they are perfect. You are right though, on bright, they are REALLY bright!!

For some reason one of these was not available in green so I had to get a white one. Bet I know which one its going to be that fits...

Once I get these fitted I think I have all the part #s for the whole truck (except the interior light because I went a different way) so I will re-post an updated list for the 97 on the main LED Bulbs thread.

The interior dash bulbs have made a huge difference, especially the ones in the warning lights. The exterior though I would say are actually a little dimmer than the incandescent. They run cooler and draw less current through the crappy LR wiring though so I still think they are a better idea than the stock bulbs.

Blows that the turn signal warning lamp reverses polarity and can't have an LED. I have a couple of the 74-Gs left over though so I might try and make up a 'frankenbulb' out of them to see if I can overcome that.

Will post up the Part # once I know which one of these fits. All the green ones are available in white as well.

Ian
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

btw - the 6-LED interior dome light you recommended is spectacular!
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I did?
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
My LED's didnt work worth a crap .....
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I got some time today to play with the LEDs in the speedo and we have a winner!!

The B8.4D-x's do fit but they are tight and you have to bend the tab a little to get it to go in. So avoid those. The B8.5D-x's are a drop in, no problems, same as the stock units.

Of the 2 I got, I prefer the B8.5D-GHP as it lights up the whole dial more evenly. The B8.5D-G works but I don't think it lights up as well. See pics. I didn't get a comparison pic of the HP ones to the stock bulb as they were the last ones I tried and since I was happy with them I buttoned up the dash before thinking to come back in and take pics of them. The only difference is that it's a flat, surface mount LED unit rather than the full body one in the pic below. Body is the same.

So the winner is - SuperBrightLEDs part # B8.5D-GHP and you need 2 of them.

For the pics, 'bright' and 'dim' refers to the dimmer switch setting.

Hope that helps?

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B8-5D-G Bright.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	45945   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8-5D-G Dim.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	45946  

Name:	B8-5D-G vs Stock.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	45947   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8-5D-GHP Bright.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	45948  

Name:	B8-5D-GHP Dim.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	45949  
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

sweet! ordering now... thanks for posting.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
No problem.

Here is the full list of bulbs I used in mine. I think there may be better options on some of the exterior ones (Stop/Tail and Front Parking lights mainly) but I am happy enough with mine.

Ian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97 NAS D90 ST - LED Bulb List.pdf (5.7 KB, 264 views)
Old January 24th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Ordered a bunch of these lights from the PDF. I'll post how it works out. I know my interior roof light is way different.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
No problem.

Here is the full list of bulbs I used in mine. I think there may be better options on some of the exterior ones (Stop/Tail and Front Parking lights mainly) but I am happy enough with mine.

Ian

would you think the list is the same for a 1995 D90ST?
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Most are probably the same but there are some differences. I used the list that is on the main LED bulb swap thread on here to start mine with and some of them where wrong for the 97. I think that list was for a 94 or 95.

You may want to consider your expectations as well. With the dash lighting I would say I am 300% happy with the LED change over. The lights are much brighter and easier to see in the daylight. Most notable improvement is in the warning lamps. Before I could hardly see them at all in daylight, now they are easy to see. Sucks that I can't do the turn signal one though.

On the exterior I would say I am mixed. The reverse light is brighter/better but the license plate lamp is much dimmer. But it is a 'whiter' light than the 'yellowy' colored stock one so it's a trade off. The stop/tail lights are about the same or maybe a little dimmer depending on the angle you view them from. Front parking/side lights are as bright from direct on but a little less from the side. High Level brake light is about the same.

I haven't finished with the turn signals yet as I still have to pull my console and fuse box for the relay.

Overall though I consider it a good swap. The stock LR wires are so small that as the trucks continue to age and connections and wires continue to degrade the stock light performance suffers. LEDs draw much less power so they put much less strain on the stock wiring. Plus they should outlast the truck if they are of reasonable quality.

Edit - Added some pics so you can see what the lights look like with the LEDs in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	46539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	46540  

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	46541   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	46542  

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	46543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	46544  

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	46545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	46546  

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	46547   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	46548  

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I have a 95 and a 97 that I will be converting this year so I'm dealing with the same stuff. Thanks.
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:42 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Another thing to bear in mind is that SuperBright phases things out and changes part #s around from time to time. I noticed it even in the few months I have been getting my stuff together.

I originally used the other list that was posted up in the other big LED thread and some of the part #s didn't come up. So I looked for the closest alternate. Made a couple of mistakes along the way and have a few 'spare' bulbs'..

Main thing I learned is to consider the way the original light comes out of or works in/with the housing. How you 'see' the light in other words. With the instrument warning lights its easy as the light only has to shine out the front. In many of the gauges, the front parking lights and to a lesser degree the rear lamps and the turn signals the light also has to go to the sides. This is where you need to match the different styles of LED bulbs to the application. You have to look at the angle that the LED is designed to project light at and make sure it matches the way the light is needing to shine. Its typically found in the more details link on the individual bulb pages of Superbrights site.

Some LED bulbs only shine forwards at a very narrow angle, some have additional LEDS that point sideways or even backwards to use reflectors or the refracting ridges in the lenses. It can be a little bit of trial and error sometimes. The original bulbs I got for my front sidelights are the 9 LED ones I found in the original list for example and you can see in the pics above that they project very little light to the sides. The A15s I show in my list have additional LEDs mounted to shine sideways as well as the 9 at the front and I hope they will fix that issue (bulbs on the way so TBD). I have some mini tower style bulbs on the way for my shifter lights as these need to shine sideways to illuminate the film (again, TBD).

They can get quite creative in the way they make some of the LED fittings to emulate the original light pattern. These for example:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ider_light.htm

They look like they may work better for the round Reverse/Stop/Tail/Turn Lights on the front and back of a 95/97. But I had already ordered the standard style for mine when I saw them and didn't feel like spending $20 a bulb to experiment when what I have is OK. Also not sure if there is enough depth in a NAS light housing to allow them to open up.

An LED bulb is not always going to be able to fully emulate the original incandescent bulb so there is occasionally going to be a little of a compromise or trade off to fitting them. I am pretty happy with the ones in my list for my application although I may continue to experiment with some of them.

HTH

Ian
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
Just got some of my LEDs in tonight. I can't get the brake lights to work. They are lit but when I step on the breaks they go out. I ordered the part numbers listed. I have the front all working. I am still waiting on the marker side lights, and I think I need another set for the rear signals as the fronts are all the same. Lastly, looks like my console light above my rear view mirror is a standard bulb not a two ended barrel. Also, where does the relay go?

Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks like you used some different bulbs than I did. I went the slightly more expensive route for maximum lumens output. Here is a link to my full list which fit fine in my SW D90 with new VDO gauges: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...1&postcount=82

Superbright also have the necessary flasher relay that can be ordered from them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
No problem.

Ian
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

This may not answer your question but I ran into two issues when switching to LED. My tail lights had the wrong polarity so I had to switch the wires connected to each socket in order to get the bulbs to light up since they only work one way. The second issue was that I had to install resistors on the front turn signals in order to get them to function correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Just got some of my LEDs in tonight. I can't get the brake lights to work. They are lit but when I step on the breaks they go out. I ordered the part numbers listed. I have the front all working. I am still waiting on the marker side lights, and I think I need another set for the rear signals as the fronts are all the same. Lastly, looks like my console light above my rear view mirror is a standard bulb not a two ended barrel. Also, where does the relay go?

Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:13 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Holy Cow, all those Towers at $50 a bulb?!?! I bet you light up the moon?

There are some differences between ST and SW as well as 94/95 and 97. My list is for a 97 ST. So be careful of that. Off the top of my head, the Speedo, shifter, high level brake lamp and the center switches will all vary.

On the relay, the SuperBright one is not the correct relay. It's a 3 pin not the correct 4 pin. It will work but you lose the trailer warning lamp (4th Pin). If you order the one off my list make sure they send you the right one. They wrongly sent me a 3 pin the 1st time. They replaced it with no issues though.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2012 04:20 AM ------

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Gotta admit, you have me scratching my head on your brake lights issue. On a 97 they are 1 piece, multi pin plugs and they are polarized so you can't plug them in the wrong way. That light is also polarized on the bulb fitting so you can't put that in wrong either??? Noticed form another thread that you had some fuse issues, did you check the fuse that controls the brake lights? Can you shift out of park?

Relay goes behind the fuse box, which is bolted to the firewall at the front just below the AC. You have to pull the center console and unbolt the fuse box to get to it. Its easier to get to if you pull the AC plenum as well.
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I got the 45 LED tower bulbs and yes they are bright. $25 a pop but worth it. Yes, my list is for a 95 SW but I replaced my gauges with new VDO ones.

The tail light sockets are polarized but unfortunately they were polarized in the opposite direction of the LED bulbs which is why I had to switch the wires in order for both socket and bulb to be polarized in the same direction.

Trailer warning lamp? What's that used for?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, 97, speedo