LED brake light problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM
Freeser
Tom Freese
1988 110

LED brake light problem

I installed WIPAC LED brake/tail lights and turn signals a couple of months ago. After having to check and fix tail lights every time it rained I was happy to switch to LEDs. Everything has been working fine until today. For some reason the brake lights decided to go crazy. When I put my foot on the brake sometimes the brake lights come on and work normally. Other times when the brake pedal is pressed nothing happens. The strangest thing is that the brake lights blink almost like a strobe light sometimes when the brake pedal is pressed. The turn signals and tail lights still are working normally. Both brake/tail lights do the same thing so I don't think it has anything to do with the LEDs or the connections in the back. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:09 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
LED brake light problem

LEDs need an adequate voltage or they won't work at all. It won't be dim like a regular filament type light bulb. I would bet you have a bad ground or a high resistance wire. Check the output voltage right at the bulb with a good meter.
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:12 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Check your grounds. The rear lighting ground is on the right side and should be attached to the tub somewhere. Your turn signals and running lights go through the same ground. I have had no electrical problems with mine after going through all the grounds and fuse box connections. Possible your brake light switch is failing too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2014, 10:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyboyUpstate View Post
LEDs need an adequate voltage or they won't work at all. It won't be dim like a regular filament type light bulb. I would bet you have a bad ground or a high resistance wire. Check the output voltage right at the bulb with a good meter.
I was thinking this too...BUT, isn't each side grounded separately? So you'd expect one side to be squirrelly with a bad ground - not both in unison?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 18th, 2014, 05:43 AM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I was thinking this too...BUT, isn't each side grounded separately? So you'd expect one side to be squirrelly with a bad ground - not both in unison?

If they're both separately grounded than I'd believe you're correct.

On my truck there's a single 12VDC leading to the rear brake lights that ends at a bullet connector. Then both brake lights are run in parallel off of that. So it's possible that 12VDC from the front of the truck is pinched/corroded and it's causing a voltage drop to the rear of the truck.
Old October 18th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wondering of the brake pedal switch is having issues.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Freeser
Tom Freese
1988 110

I'll check the ground. how do I access brake pedal switch to check that if the ground is OK?
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:47 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeser View Post
I'll check the ground. how do I access brake pedal switch to check that if the ground is OK?
The brake pedal switch is at the top of the brake master cylinder. It should have two wires plugged into it. One that is hot whenever the ignition is in the "run" position and the other that runs to your brake lights. Unplug them both and jump one to the other. If your lights work you have a switch issue that is easy to swap out. If they still act funky you have a wiring/ground/bulb issue.
Old October 21st, 2014, 07:07 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I would suggest using a meter at the switch to verify the switch is functioning. Then you'll have a clearer idea of what to do or where to look next.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, ht