LED auxiliary lighting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:15 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LED auxiliary lighting

Strongly considering these for my front winch bumper:
http://www.amzn.com/B005WWI62K/
http://www.amzn.com/B005WWIV3O/

Anyone have any input either way on using these LEDs versus a traditional Hella-ish setup? Right now I'm thinking these have to be vastly superior....but feedback is welcomed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Can't comment on that particular brand. Only have two comments. 1. LEDs are the cats pajamas on fire. 2. Compare apples to apples or in this case lumens to lumens. Find out what you like and compare wattage to lumens between the products that you are interested in.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just bought some Rigid LED bars. Will post once I've had a chance to use them.
Advertisement

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have 3 pairs of rigid LED dualies on my truck and I love them. They put out a lot more light than you think.

Semper Fi!
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On basic lighting my build will be 100% led excrpt for the headlights.
Having driven through a ton of miserable fog in VA this week LED rear fog lights will be aded to the shopping list. Going with Wipac NAS style. Front fog, yes but no decision yet on brand or light source.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I figured this would be the response. I just went ahead and ordered up the round LED above and will wire it up as a rear worklight and see how I like it before ordering up some for the front

Aesthetic question: round or square lights on the front SG bumper? I'm thinking three round, then if I decided to get carried away I could do the squares on the NAS cage.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Jason, go round on the SG brushbar. It just looks better. I have 3 on mine, and like the look.

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Great thread guys. I as well was looking at LED work lights for the rear as well. And I like those led light bars. Carl what kind did you get (length)? I was considering one of those. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Hey Carl,
Do you have a picture of the light bar installed? I am assuming you put it up top (but could be wrong) - and would love to see it with the low profile rack you have on your truck. TIA

-Aaron
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I went a little crazy and ordered a 50" SR (Single Row) Rigid LED bar for the top (16000 Lumens) and I also got a 20" SR LED Rigid LED Bar to replace my Hella Black Magics on the ARB bumper in front of the grill (6400 Lumens). The idea behind the 20" was to get less draw, more lumens and increased airflow to the radiator as the SR Bars are very low profile, especially compared to round Hellas.

The 50" is still in the box as it looks like I have to fab a mount in order to install it on top of the roll cage. The 20" hasn't arrived yet. I'll post pictures as soon as I get them test fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Great thread guys. I as well was looking at LED work lights for the rear as well. And I like those led light bars. Carl what kind did you get (length)? I was considering one of those. Can't wait to see some pics.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think the low profile combo of lights and rack is going to look really good as well as be practical. The only interference will be my snorkel top sticking up and blocking the bar. Will have to work something out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
Hey Carl,
Do you have a picture of the light bar installed? I am assuming you put it up top (but could be wrong) - and would love to see it with the low profile rack you have on your truck. TIA

-Aaron
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Will the LEDs throw the light far down the road trail? I have 3 hella hid 4000's and love them on the trail. It's like driving in daylight at night.

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have almost converted everything to LED. Only have a few dash lights (turn signal indicator, etc) and headlights left to convert . I'm going for the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
On basic lighting my build will be 100% led excrpt for the headlights.
Having driven through a ton of miserable fog in VA this week LED rear fog lights will be aded to the shopping list. Going with Wipac NAS style. Front fog, yes but no decision yet on brand or light source.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Depends on what kind you get. They come in different versions, spot, flood or spot/flood combo. The bars I ordered are spot/flood combos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Will the LEDs throw the light far down the road trail? I have 3 hella hid 4000's and love them on the trail. It's like driving in daylight at night.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's important to distinguish between raw lumens and effective lumens. Most manufacturers only advertise the raw lumens because it is a higher number. The good ones advertise both. The JW Speaker headlights I'm looking at for example are 1,350 Raw Lumens but only 760 Effective Lumens. Raw lumens is a theoretical output number before loss through lenses etc has been included. Effective is the light you actually get.
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Isn't Hella coming out with a 4000 with LEDs?
Old December 30th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Here they are

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...llye-4000-led/
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:00 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
At $650 EACH! Crikey!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 30th, 2012, 08:31 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I like my china LED worklight (similar to the circular one you have linked above). It's the OR light in the bed of my truck, which has 480 lumens and a lifetime of something like 8000 hrs. My guess is that lifetime number is conservative. The beam pattern is something like a 90-100 degree flood, so as you can imagine the range is not very long. 1200 lumens is probably plenty bright as a work light.

I think I like the rigid dually 2x2's better, as they are available with known beam patterns, performance specifications, and are not significantly more expensive than the cheap china LEDs.

Another company that seems to make decent product is lazerstar, which is sort of "upscale china". Less of a guarantee on things like weatherproofness, but a more up to date selection of LEDs.

http://www.lazerstar.net/products/lx-led-light-bars

Then, there's the "they're all made in China, so let's make 'em even cheaper" and who knows what the specs are lights. Maybe good, maybe bad, but they're bright for however long they last:

http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Trail-Series/

Or if you're the handy type:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...light-bar.html

I'm not sure I understand the economy of 20-30 inch light bars that cost $600-1000. One could fab up an HID floodlight that produces significantly more light than these for much less money.
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Jason, go round on the SG brushbar. It just looks better. I have 3 on mine, and like the look.
Pencil/Euro/Pencil

Cornering/euro/cornering

I had three for a little while, I was running the 2nd combination.

The ARB "Intensity" LED's are rather appealing, Im a sucker for marketing though. There is a video of them on youtube

It seems Hella is more oriented to the OEM than ARB, Rigid IF PIA etc.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht