Leaky Windshield? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
akfisher
robert hall
95 d-90sw

Leaky Windshield?

Was gone for a week and went to drive the d-90 and found standing water in the shelf under the dash on the passenger side that was then draining down onto the floor mat. the vehicle has sat out in the rain before and i've never this before. recently had the d-90 serviced by the local dealer and had them install a new heated windshield. took a quick look but didnt see an obvious source of the leak. this is a dumb question but could a poorly sealed windshield leak just from rain while the vehicle is sitting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Not likely your windshield, more likely its your scuttle vents. Sometimes these aren't closed, but sometimes they just leak anyway. New seals will probably take care of it as long as the thing close all the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have a leak somewhere below the windscreen as well. I suspect its the scuttle vent seals. It only leaks in a downpour and the water comes out on the top of the toe box where the pedals are. Is the scuttle vents the only option here or are there other areas where the bulkhead meets the hood where it can potentially leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Not likely your windshield, more likely its your scuttle vents. Sometimes these aren't closed, but sometimes they just leak anyway. New seals will probably take care of it as long as the thing close all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Options include the windshield (unlikely), the seal between windshield and bulkhead (unlikely without rust holes), the seal from the top to the windshield frame (if the sealant has come out and wate is forced in while driving), and the scuttle vents. Some bulkheads rust through in that area and leak too, but that's pretty advanced decay unless you're talking about a NAS 110. Search here for the "Water Ingress Manual" - its pretty helpful and it has diagrams.

Old October 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Upgrade vent seals to the rubber ones. Uses 3m caulk on clutch area
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Options include the windshield (unlikely), the seal between windshield and bulkhead (unlikely without rust holes), the seal from the top to the windshield frame (if the sealant has come out and wate is forced in while driving), and the scuttle vents. Some bulkheads rust through in that area and leak too, but that's pretty advanced decay unless you're talking about a NAS 110. Search here for the "Water Ingress Manual" - its pretty helpful and it has diagrams.

Why can't I find the "Water Ingress Manual"?
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I just searched for "Water Ingress Manual" and came up with this thread, but the site it links to is down. will email you a copy I have.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...Ingress+Manual
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Thanks Charles. I swear I searched!
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It was the air vent seals that caused my leak. They were old and falling apart. I haven't had a problem since I replaces them.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
jhobbs
Jay Hobbs
1995 D-90 SW LRNA/10 (**sold**)

Anyone have a saved copy of the water ingress .pdf? I thought I did but can't find it and the link above doesn't work anymore.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WaterIngressManualDefender.pdf (565.6 KB, 96 views)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
jhobbs
Jay Hobbs

Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
My 90 had a leak from a failure of the seam sealer where the bonnet drip channel is attached to the bulkhead. That water ran down the bonnet (parked facing slightly uphill) and went behind the drip channel. From there it ran down the bulkhead to a place where the seam overlaps the wrong way and the water rand down into the fusebox and filled the turn signal/hazard flasher relay with water. I got in the truck and found the trailer warning light on the dash was illuminated. Took awhile to figure out but was definitely surprised when I pulled the flasher apart and it dumped a thimble worth of water on me. Dried it out and it is still working...
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

On my '97 SW, my leak was between the windshield frame and the top of the bulkhead. Was a unique foot washing feature I thought at first, but I couldn't find the switch to operate it when it wasn't raining.

Dennis
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I had a leak on the Driver's doorseal, it had detached from the frame, a drop of silicone to hold it back in place and duct-taped it there for 3 hours to let it set and it's been fine for a few months. (specifically pages 11 and 12 of the pdf Charles attached above)

My biggest leak was the sunroof... which I was finally able to "seal" using vaseline on the gasket
Old November 4th, 2010, 01:58 AM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Attached
Thanks for posting this but where do you buy this dum dum and dum dum strips? Sounds funny. Thanks

------ Follow up post added November 3rd, 2010 11:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Upgrade vent seals to the rubber ones. Uses 3m caulk on clutch area
Do all new seals come in rubber now and are these for the vents on the fire wall that open from the inside handle on either side?
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:06 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
dum dum is 3M Strip Caulk, its not hard to find.

Old November 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
jhobbs
Jay Hobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Thanks for posting this but where do you buy this dum dum and dum dum strips? Sounds funny. Thanks
It more than likely won't be on the shelf out front. Try an auto store that caters to paint and body repair. O'Reilly or Napa should have it.
Old November 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Eastwood is great for stuff like this

http://www.eastwood.com/3m-flexible-...ulk-20-yd.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions