Leaky windows - 97 D-90SW - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Leaky windows - 97 D-90SW

This winter was tough on the D-90. It appeared that alot of water got in through the side rear windows, and the humidity got high enough that mildew formed inside on some surfaces.

I'm not sure what's causing the leaking; perhaps the felt-type weatherstripping around the movalbe panes are worn out. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Barry,

When I was looking for a leak in the front, the best advice I got was to wait till night fall. Using a small maglight investigate the rear windows. If your buddy can see light on the outside or vice versa, water is getting in. I used a marine grade sealant where my seals had failed, as it was only in one spot and the rest of the seal looked in good condition. Hopefully you can determine at least where the leak is and how to potentially seal it, either with replacement parts or with a sealer.

EwS
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:17 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
My truck leaks so bad I ended up drilling a fe holes in the floor. At least I don't have standing water anymore. Funny we are discussing this now. It is pouring rain in Burbank California right now as I type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:28 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
ahit man I got a 95 wagon. it leaks, I had thought thru the rear windows which isnt a bad idea but my front leaks bad, thru the front vent's under the window's I just cover it with one of those blue tarps when the forcast calls for rain otherwise she is wide open..... just a thought, the 15 dollar blue tarp is good insurance against waterdamage/rust
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Ah jeeezz Phil....a tarp!

You could probably fix that by either replacing the seals or the vent handle. The new handle might provide a tighter seal on the vent for you. Of course, RDS is a good place to get these items. Just my 0.02

DJ
Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

The tech section has that really cool article on replacing your seals with those from a Series RIg which are much better.....

That would be cool Phil...
Old April 2nd, 2004, 07:39 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I just put the rubber seals around my vent openings. No more leaks.

Rovers North is out of them and says they are being discontinued. I don't know if that means they are just not carrying them anymore, or if nobody makes them anymore.

RDS had them in stock just a few weeks ago.

I used silicon sealant instead of glue. It is somewhat adhesive and is a better sealant than the glue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, d-90, window, windows