Leaky Sunroof: Seeking Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 10th, 2006, 01:46 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Leaky Sunroof: Seeking Suggestions

Please forgive me for being new to sunroofs in Land Rovers (and possibly not knowing the basic lore of how to deal with them). I have a Defender sunroof in my Series IIA (aluminum roof) that's leaking around the hinges, primarily the left one. The water appears to be coming around the sides of the hinge. I realize that these vehicles aren't water tight but the right thigh of my pants often ends up quite wet after a drive in the rain.

When I installed the sunroof, I was sure to seal both inside and out between the sunroof and the top. I also sealed the round pieces that hold the hinge to the sunroof glass. This helped a bit for a while but I'm back to water seeping through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Mine is doing the same thing, leaking through the left hinge. I was planning on replacing the hinge and re-sealing it. I'll let you know how mine turns out.

Sam
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:22 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mine does the same periodically. I've found the easiest thing to do is to clean the rubber seal with a good silcone based rubber protectant (like Mother's back to black). Just simply cleaning it and keeping it protected seems to work generally. Also, don't crank the sunroof all the way shut, leave it a 1/4 turn or more. For some reason, the seal doesn't like to be completely compressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2006, 01:17 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the rubber protectant and the not-completely-shut idea. If those don't work, then replacing the hinge is next.
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I tried everything to get my sunroof not to leak. I ended up needing a new seals, the top and bottom kits...

EwS
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I ended up needing a new seals, the top and bottom kits.

Is this something that Rovers North would stock or will I end up going elsewhere to find this?
Old April 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

George at Rovers Down South has both the upper and lower assemblies. RN carries them as well, but they are not cheap.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Thanks, Eric.

I loosened the sunroof crank by a quarter turn yesterday and the truck was dry this morning. Then again, it didn't rain last night.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, since we're on the topic. Anybody else have issues with the glass being curved differently than the roof panel? My glass is higher in the middle than it is on the sides, and the middle portion barely even touches the sealing surface.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Mine is curved something like how you describe. I'll try to get some pics today that I can share tomorrow.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Ok, since we're on the topic. Anybody else have issues with the glass being curved differently than the roof panel? My glass is higher in the middle than it is on the sides, and the middle portion barely even touches the sealing surface.

-Hans

Yes mine is the same way. The galss is tempered and prone to break if hit just right. '

EwS
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
I tried everything to get my sunroof not to leak. I ended up needing a new seals, the top and bottom kits...

EwS
What seals are we talking about, and what are the "top & bottom kits"?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof, sunroof