Leaky Sunroof - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Shane512

Leaky Sunroof

Hello all,

I have already tried to search for info on this topic but couldn't find the specifics that I am looking for.

I, like many Defender owners, have a sunroof that is leaking. It has already been sealed up prior to being owned by me and I have attempted to seal it again just in case it was a bad job initially. It is still dripping in my lap. I contacted a local Defender enthusiast who told me that the water dripping on my lap is due to the rubber seal sweating, has anyone experienced this? He said it won't happen during summer and I will just have to put up with it over the winter months.

I really want to try and remedy the problem so I have a couple of ideas I want to run past everyone.

1. Removing the sunroof completely and fitting sealed plate over the top of the hole - not the most ideal scenario as I would really like to continue having the natural light effect in the cabin.

2. Remove the sunroof and fit a piece of toughened glass, that is sealed in place - this would be a preferable option, depending on how the attachment of the glass to the roof panel, can it be done using similar means to the alpine or rear windows?

3. Remove the sunroof and fit a piece of transparent polycarbonate, sealed in place - another quite preferable option but depending on the same answer to number 2.

4. Just stop being a picky sod and put up with it - probably how the majority of answers to this will come back as I'm sure a lot of you have looked at these options previously.

Thanks in advance for any constructive, positive or indeed negative comments!!

Shane.

1995 Defender 90 CSW 300TDi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2016, 12:20 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I removed the glass and cleaned the seal with WD40. Mine was dirty after 17 years of wind and dust. It hasn't leaked since.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 17th, 2016, 12:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Is it leaking or dripping condensation?

Is it the rubber seal for the glass or the frame to the roof seal?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:14 AM
Shane512

Sorry for the late response. Been out of the country for a couple of months.

It seems to me as it's leaking. I'd heard of condensation being an issue but it seemingly leaks a lot more when it's raining, to the point that my seat bottoms are completely soaked.

I will be placing some aluminium tape over the gap between the glass and roof to see if there is still a leak, if so, I will assume it's condensation, if not, I need to work the roof using a method earlier mentioned.

Thank you for the responses so far.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:56 AM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Try this, I did it and not a single drop since

Get a quarter size piece of plastic that has a tiny bit of "give" to it, think of a miniature hockey puck, after you have tightened your sunroof as tight as you can pull down on the round tightener, this will pull sunroof a bit tighter against seal, then slip your little piece of plastic, mine is about 3/8 inch thick, between the glass and the tightener, and voila! No more leaks!

If anyone needs a picture, kindly let me know....

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old April 23rd, 2016, 11:10 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincdoyle View Post
Try this, I did it and not a single drop since

Get a quarter size piece of plastic that has a tiny bit of "give" to it, think of a miniature hockey puck, after you have tightened your sunroof as tight as you can pull down on the round tightener, this will pull sunroof a bit tighter against seal, then slip your little piece of plastic, mine is about 3/8 inch thick, between the glass and the tightener, and voila! No more leaks!

If anyone needs a picture, kindly let me know....
Yes, please post pictures!
A storm came through yesterday and I had about a 1/4 cup of water that was collecting in the headliner... Unbeknownst to me, when i drove the truck, the water streamed out at the driver side A-pillar.

I suspect the rain water is coming from the sun roof seal.
I also noticed there is a seam that cuts across the hard top (at about the b-pillar) ... could that be a source of water ingress as well?

I feel I really should remove the headliner just to be absolutely sure. Thanks!
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:07 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Hope this helps. You can see a bit of compression.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3547718581.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	449.7 KB
ID:	147908

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old April 24th, 2016, 04:05 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Thanks, Kevin. Will give that a try.

Of course, I still have (I think) a water intrusion between the roof and the sunroof frame.
Then, I was at the big box hardware store this morning and saw the flex-seal - "handyman in a can! LOL..

Anyone tried to use this to seal around the roof and the sunroof? It's a bit unconventional way of problem solving... but curious what others think.

Disclaimer: Not a spokeperson for flex seal. never used it. Just looking to stop leak into cabin. Click image for larger version

Name:	flexseal3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	148021
Old April 24th, 2016, 06:14 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

You can try what this guy did? :D
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2539449204.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	148031  
Old May 1st, 2016, 07:34 AM
Shane512

Unfortunately, my sunroof does not have the circular opening mechanism, it has a handle that you pull forward and upwards to open it. I don't think it is aftermarket as it has the LR badge on the handle.

Instead I temp repaired it using aluminium tape as shown in the photo. After a few rainy days in the UK it has proved to be fruitful, no more damp seats to sit on, meaning it is a leak from the sunroof and not condensation. Now to contemplate a permanent repair solution.

Name:	image-4047900472.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	148525
Old May 1st, 2016, 08:56 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCocito View Post
You can try what this guy did? :D
Someone must hated that individual.

Anything that expanding foam is touching is permanently ruined. I can see full body repaint with all new weather stripping. Or that is what I would want.

OP, Have you tried removing those aluminum tapes against the paint? I would heat it up before peeling it with hopes that it won't lift paint.

Mine leaks water and I live in Seattle. I think flex seal would work but I wonder if there is enough space for water to accumulate, I feel like it will never dry and cause some serious problems down the road.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:02 AM
Shane512

The roof needs a complete paint restore anyway which is why I wasn't fussed about putting the ally tape on. That stuff is used for aircraft battle damage repair and can withstand 600+ mph! Not that my landy can get much more than 10% of that speed
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:07 AM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane512 View Post
... That stuff is used for aircraft battle damage repair and can withstand 600+ mph! Not that my landy can get much more than 10% of that speed
That is why I asked. I have used some aluminum tapes and they are rather permanent or the adhesive residue it leaves behind.
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just wondering-do you have a headliner? Might be worth pulling it so you can be d
Certain it's not leaking between the frame and roof.
As for glass to roof leaks, I've seen people use that grey door foam seals before now...

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 1st, 2016, 11:10 AM
Shane512

I do have a headliner. A job for a free weekend when the weather stays nice.

Can you buy replacement seals for the sunroofs or will it have to be a complete replacement unit?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions