Leaky Steering Box - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 3rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Leaky Steering Box

After several years of living with it (I've tried the Lucas Stop Leak with no luck), I've decided to do something about my leaky steering box. The question is what. I think the options are: replace with a new one, replace with a rebuilt one, repair the leaks, or go to a completely different box (Saginaw?). I've heard that even new LR boxes will leak, and I don't know if anyone has a "better" rebuilt box. Has anyone had good luck with either? I'm not too thrilled about repairing the leaks if it's not going to last at least a few years, and I don't think I've got time right now to do a box conversion. Any insight anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

My box is original, it leaked when I bought the my 90, I put some leak stop that came in a red bottle that was made for power steering and it has not leaked since, I if you do order a new or rebuilt box I think you need to know how many bolts are on the top cover when ordering, some of them are interchangeable. I think there is a 4 bolt 6 bolt and 8 bolt and you may be able to go between the 6 and 8 bolt.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 07:00 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

I remember reading something about different bolt configurations. Any idea if the boxes are different in any other way? Are they interchangeable? RN's catalog shows a picture of a 3-bolt box, but they don't list any different PN's. My box has 4 bolts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ryan, it is not the number of bolts holding it to the engine, but the number of bolts on the cover plate. I think they were all kinda problematic, what i rember from reading was the 6 bolt one was the best , but it was really not much better then the others.

I think the better solution would be if someone bolted a 1 ton truck PS box onto the 3.9, it would turn bigger tires better. I rember someone talking about doing it, but I have yet to see anything .
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Mike - when you say "bolted to the engine", are you referring to the PS pump? The 4 bolts that I looked at on my PS box (mounted on the frame rail) are on the cover plate where the adjustment screw is (not the side mounting bolts). In the RN catalog, they have an illustration of a PS box that shows 3 screws in the cover plate. I haven't seen anything with 6 bolts. Are we talking about the same location?
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

hmmm, I'll have to find the artical of LRM that I read it in. I think it was in the September issue. It was the top cover and it may have been 3 or 4 screws not 6 or 8.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

meridian,

They never leak. The replace the bush with a bearing.

$300 exchange or so.
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Ron - Thanks for the lead! I just spoke to Meridian, and was surprised to find that they're right here in San Diego. I'm going to head over there tonight to check out there boxes. They did tell me how, in addition to a complete rebuild, they machine out the box and replace the output bushing with a bearing, and they've sold hundreds of these boxes with only a few returned for failures. Current price is $265 + $160 core charge.
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij

You will not be disappointed. $300 was including shipping (I forgot you were in San Diego) Always happy to support my source of stock 110 NAS take off parts

Ron
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
A shop "adjusted" my steering box now its leaking lie a sieve, its never leaked a drop in the 7 years Ive had the truck, i think ive had it 7 years. Was I sabotaged?
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

sounds like it
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
A shop "adjusted" my steering box now its leaking lie a sieve, its never leaked a drop in the 7 years Ive had the truck, i think ive had it 7 years. Was I sabotaged?
MOre like they forgot to tighten the adjuster nut back down. Take it back and have them deal with it.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I dont feel like dealing with them, they had the truck for two weeks charged me a lot of money. Didnt fix what I told them to fix and fucked up my steering box. Ill go through the shop manual and fix it my damn self. Maybe Ill send them a bill.

Follow-up Post:

So this means the selctor shaft could be loose along with the respective seals etc? the steering was off a little at 70 when I drove home, something felt loose.
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

+1 on Meridian, been a year since replacing it with one and no leaks yet. PITA to do it yourself.

Robert Deniro
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Id never had a leak untill these people "fixed" it. Why do 95% of Land Rover mechanics suck?
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
It was sabotage, one of the lines going into the steering box was hand tight. The reservoir was nearly empty, tightened steam cleaned no more leaks. What is it with people? Do most mechanics fuck up cars hoping customers are dumb enough to think something is wrong?
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
LR dealer/shop or independent shop? I have had little luck with LR dealer/shops. They comment, "that's the way a 14 year Defender should perform" B.S., they just don't want to mess with it. I purchased the NAS Defender workshop manual and as you stated "I do my d@mn self!" from adusting the steering box to rebuilding the heads and head gasket job.

Cheers...
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
A well respected indy shop thats been around for a very very long time. I could do the heads, I just dont want to deal with wheel bearings or swivels. The electronics and swivels/wheel bearings/brakes are the only things that I dont want to work on.
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I just dont want to deal with wheel bearings or swivels. The electronics and swivels/wheel bearings/brakes are the only things that I dont want to work on.
Why not? They are easier than heads.
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Not sure, just seems like heads are take them off put them on. a few bolts. Wheel bearings you got races, seals pre loading this blah blah blah. I watched the guy replace the outer wheel bearing and it was like damn that wasnt shit but still. Plus I havent been around Rovers enough to do much trouble shooting, i found the majority of the "rover mechanics" Ive used are just parts changers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions