Leaky Fuel Tank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Leaky Fuel Tank

The fuel tank on our D-90 seems to be leaking. When you get a little sideways, you can smell gas. I haven't got the fuel tank dropped yet to inspect it, but I was wondering if anyone ever heard of the D-90 fuel tanks leaking similar to what the earlier disco fuel tanks are doing??

Otherwise, does anybody know if there are certain hoses that are prone to leaking or coming slightly disconnected?

TIA
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My 95 tank would spill fuel because if a crack in the breather hose that ran up to the filler neck. I replaced it when I rebuilt everything. Also, there are two evaporative recovery fittings on the top of the tank - one on each side. If the rubber gaskets holding these in place have perished, they will leak. None of these leaks ever made my ECU throw a code, so fuel system leakage might not be monitored under OBD1.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Have you done any work in the area of the tank or in the rear (inside or outside) were you may have drilled into or punctured the tank. The tank is made of plastic and you can puncture it easily without knowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

Nope, nothing I did would have punctured it unless it was off-road when I did it. But I don't remember hitting the rear of the car anywhere and there are no signs of damage on the skidplate. I will have more time on Wednesday to check for the leaks that Jim talked about. Thanks for the hints/tips!!
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:16 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I'd check the filler tube and all of the fittings around it. Remember, your truck is now 10-11 years old. The filler tube on my was cracking badly before I replaced it.
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

My tank had a leak in the seam where the top half of the tank was connected to the bottom. I think it was a freaky incident, but it happened, it was just a factory flaw i think. The crack was hard to see except that there was gas coming from it.
just my 2 cents
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

David,
I have inspected the filler neck and as far as I can tell, it's not that. Like I said above, I have yet to drop the tank and inspect it closer. I'll be doing that tomorrow, but I'll definately check the filler neck closer. Thanks!

Kris,
Did you have to replace your tank then? Or did the dealer do it for you? If you had to replace it, did you go with a stock one, or did you go with an aftermarket one? I have noticed that Summit Racing has some that look like they would be a pretty close fit and they're a whole lot cheaper than stock!!
Old April 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

I went one step cheaper, I decided it wasnt worth the 250+ that the dealer was offering + the install, so the chief tech told us to try some jb weld. He said the worst that can happen is it doesnt stop it, so we made the crack a little bigger with a dremel and then patched it with JB weld. No probs since.
I know this prob isnt the best solution, but it has worked fine for me.
Old April 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

With the recent increase in gas prices and the chance that gas may be > $3/gal this summer, you had better find that leak soon. the auto parts stores usually have a tank repair kit but hte JB Weld sounds as good as anything to me. You may need a screen or something rough to make sure that the JB Weld will stick to it well.
Old June 1st, 2005, 07:50 AM
Dave L
Dave Lancaster

I too have a leaky gas tank in my '95 SW. I haven't torn into it yet, but I talked to a mechanic who mentioned that the '95 Discos had a recall for stress cracks in their plastic gas tanks. Have other folks seen these leaks as cracks in the tanks or just failed (old) seals? If cracks, it would be interesting to know if they're similar to the Discos and we were just left off the recall due to numbers of vehicles on the road (or lack thereof).
Dave
Old June 1st, 2005, 04:06 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan

I forgot about this thread while I was out of the country.

*update* I dropped the tank and found an odd looking hole in the top of the tank. It is about 1/8" in diameter and actually looks like the plastic around the edges of the hole got either sanded down really smooth or slightly melted (which worries me). I really can't tell what happened, but I'm just going to JB weld it I think. I don't see any reason in doing anything else. If I ever find out why it happened, I'll let you all know.
Old June 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Since we're on this subject, the lip under my gas cap is leaking. It leaks right there, like its not making a proper seal, only on a full or half full tank. No damage evident. New gas caps (have tried two) don't stop it. What the hell? Cleaned and checked the backfill tube, no issues, clear passage.

Doug W.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

i've also started getting the leaky gas tank. Only leaks when topped off or headed uphill. Seems to be on the upper left side of the tank. I hope to get a chance to drop it this weekend. Kinda freaked the guys out at the rally 2 weeks ago when they could see gas dripping from my rear as I climbed steeper pitches. For now I just make sure to run 3/4s of a tank or less. I wish it was easier to get to than dropping the whole tank though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, fuel tank