Defender Source Forum banner

Leaking steering box miracle fix

Tags
ac
16K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Davis 
#1 · (Edited)
Treys 1983 110 steering box was leaking like a sieve, the box was tight with no play. I was certain the seals were just old and hard. I had been using the Lucas product to keep fluid in the box and keep from burning up the pump. Since we had nothing to lose, as a last ditch effort before replacing the box I tried an auto trans stop leak product called Blue Devil Transmission Sealer, made in Baltimore.

The underside of his truck was filthy with sand from Portsmouth Island and road grime stuck in all the atf that had leaked out over the past year. Trey has de greased and then gone over it a second time with spray nine and the underside of his truck is dry and clean. We have put 1500 miles on the
truck since the leak stopped. This stuff worked for me, ymmv

#6 ·
The only issue I would have with the Blue Devil Transmission Sealer is down the road (months/years )could it cause the rubber seals and hoses to swell and fail? I realize this was a temporary fix, but unlike a transmission there are high pressure hoses involved which could be more expensive to replace than just resealing a staring box. :confused

Since we're on the subject, when I approach the lock-to-lock position I get a loud squeal...normal?

#7 · (Edited)
Your "issue" with my experience is posed as a question ? Interesting approach to posting on a help forum.

The only hose in question would be the flex section of the high pressure side that allows for engine vibration. I just had a new one made (superior to the oem hose in every way) as mentioned in another thread, for this same truck @ the local Parker store. $34
You are worried about seals leaking two years from now ? Didn't I say I couldn't keep fluid in the damn thing before ? For me, this minuscule expense is not comparable to pulling a steering box, going through the nightmare that is getting the pitman arm off the lower shaft and rebuilding the box, again, in my experience.

I have only done that job a half dozen times so I'm sure there are others like yourself with armchairs and access to a keyboard with conflicting knowledge (substituted for experience) obtained via a search engine.

Please don't use the Blue Devil Product.

Just saying I did and it has worked well for close to 2000 miles now, ie everything is bone dry.

#8 ·
I added something similar and it bought me a year or two on my LWB. Then it leaked again and the bushing was too worn to seal. So I just kept it topped up for the remaining decade I owned it. The design on the RHD defenders and LHD Disco I and RRC is just stupid. There is not enough fluid and it cooks IME. The LHD defenders and RHD disco/rrc have the res on the opposite side of the box which seems to make all the difference in the world.

#10 · (Edited)
HOT DAMN this actually works!! I love you, Uncle D !! :) I ordered the Blue Devil power steering stop leak on Amazon, dumped the full bottle in and then as per the instructions drove the truck steadily for two hours. The chronic leak I had from my steering box is GONE. First time I am seeing my drop arm dry. I must have tried three or four different stop leaks on the damn thing over the past couple of years. Finally, sweet relief.

I am well and truly amazed and deeply grateful! :thumb

#13 · (Edited)
John, I'm glad the power steering stop leak product has worked for you but I have been using the auto trans product. Our trucks use atf for power steering fluid so a product designed for seals used with atf is what is needed. The product simply softens a seal that has hardened with age.

FWIW my daughter has a disco 1 and it was leaking and we poured some in and it has completely stopped. Trey's truck still has not leaked since we poured some of this in.

#14 ·
Good advice that I'll keep in mind! My RRC needs this badly but the trans is slipping so can't drive. I can confirm the power steering stop leak does NOT work, nor the Lucas product.

For me, the Meridian subtractive that I added to my bank account also worked (on my 90)-- been a few years now, no leak. But if I didn't have to do that, the trans stop leak would have been my ticket!

#33 ·
Good info. Does anyone see any reason why using prophylactically is not a good idea? Softening/swelling seals wearing faster? The Blue Devil website does not mention use as a leak preventative.

Why do old threads have that footer about reviving old threads like it is a bad idea. Isn't it best for someone researching a subject if information is contained in only one thread instead of starting a new thread on the same subject?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.