Leaking steering box miracle fix - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 27th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Leaking steering box miracle fix

Treys 1983 110 steering box was leaking like a sieve, the box was tight with no play. I was certain the seals were just old and hard. I had been using the Lucas product to keep fluid in the box and keep from burning up the pump. Since we had nothing to lose, as a last ditch effort before replacing the box I tried an auto trans stop leak product called Blue Devil Transmission Sealer, made in Baltimore.

The underside of his truck was filthy with sand from Portsmouth Island and road grime stuck in all the atf that had leaked out over the past year. Trey has de greased and then gone over it a second time with spray nine and the underside of his truck is dry and clean. We have put 1500 miles on the
truck since the leak stopped. This stuff worked for me, ymmv

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2015, 10:57 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Saw the Blue Devil product in the 24 hour auto parts store near me.
Old August 29th, 2015, 04:10 AM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Somebody wanna ship some to APO? On a side note, where the hell are all the auto parts stores in the UK?? I swear you can only order car stuff through a garage....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
Somebody wanna ship some to APO? On a side note, where the hell are all the auto parts stores in the UK?? I swear you can only order car stuff through a garage....
Look up "Motor Factors" in the yellow pages. There are three in your area.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Look up "Motor Factors" in the yellow pages. There are three in your area.
Will do, thanks for the info
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:43 PM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
The only issue I would have with the Blue Devil Transmission Sealer is down the road (months/years )could it cause the rubber seals and hoses to swell and fail? I realize this was a temporary fix, but unlike a transmission there are high pressure hoses involved which could be more expensive to replace than just resealing a staring box.

Since we're on the subject, when I approach the lock-to-lock position I get a loud squeal...normal?
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrite View Post
The only issue I would have with the Blue Devil Transmission Sealer is down the road (months/years )could it cause the rubber seals and hoses to swell and fail? I realize this was a temporary fix, but unlike a transmission there are high pressure hoses involved which could be more expensive to replace than just resealing a staring box.

Since we're on the subject, when I approach the lock-to-lock position I get a loud squeal...normal?
Your "issue" with my experience is posed as a question ? Interesting approach to posting on a help forum.

The only hose in question would be the flex section of the high pressure side that allows for engine vibration. I just had a new one made (superior to the oem hose in every way) as mentioned in another thread, for this same truck @ the local Parker store. $34
You are worried about seals leaking two years from now ? Didn't I say I couldn't keep fluid in the damn thing before ? For me, this minuscule expense is not comparable to pulling a steering box, going through the nightmare that is getting the pitman arm off the lower shaft and rebuilding the box, again, in my experience.

I have only done that job a half dozen times so I'm sure there are others like yourself with armchairs and access to a keyboard with conflicting knowledge (substituted for experience) obtained via a search engine.

Please don't use the Blue Devil Product.

Just saying I did and it has worked well for close to 2000 miles now, ie everything is bone dry.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 31st, 2015, 04:07 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I added something similar and it bought me a year or two on my LWB. Then it leaked again and the bushing was too worn to seal. So I just kept it topped up for the remaining decade I owned it. The design on the RHD defenders and LHD Disco I and RRC is just stupid. There is not enough fluid and it cooks IME. The LHD defenders and RHD disco/rrc have the res on the opposite side of the box which seems to make all the difference in the world.
Old August 31st, 2015, 05:07 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Too bad there is no miracle fix for the clutch master cylinder--I just need another month out of mine....
Old September 20th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
HOT DAMN this actually works!! I love you, Uncle D !! :-) I ordered the Blue Devil power steering stop leak on Amazon, dumped the full bottle in and then as per the instructions drove the truck steadily for two hours. The chronic leak I had from my steering box is GONE. First time I am seeing my drop arm dry. I must have tried three or four different stop leaks on the damn thing over the past couple of years. Finally, sweet relief.

I am well and truly amazed and deeply grateful! :thumb
Old January 14th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand View Post
HOT DAMN this actually works!! I love you, Uncle D !! :-) I ordered the Blue Devil power steering stop leak on Amazon, dumped the full bottle in and then as per the instructions drove the truck steadily for two hours. The chronic leak I had from my steering box is GONE. First time I am seeing my drop arm dry. I must have tried three or four different stop leaks on the damn thing over the past couple of years. Finally, sweet relief.

I am well and truly amazed and deeply grateful! :thumb
I was reading the instructions and was surprised that you have to drive steadily for two hours. Do you think that is really necessary?

Any difference between the trans & the PS stop leak?
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:20 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Good questions. Others with more experience may chime in. I am not sure on either count. I figured I would just do what they say! Two hours was not a problem on the appointed day, for me.
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
John, I'm glad the power steering stop leak product has worked for you but I have been using the auto trans product. Our trucks use atf for power steering fluid so a product designed for seals used with atf is what is needed. The product simply softens a seal that has hardened with age.

FWIW my daughter has a disco 1 and it was leaking and we poured some in and it has completely stopped. Trey's truck still has not leaked since we poured some of this in.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Good advice that I'll keep in mind! My RRC needs this badly but the trans is slipping so can't drive. I can confirm the power steering stop leak does NOT work, nor the Lucas product.

For me, the Meridian subtractive that I added to my bank account also worked (on my 90)-- been a few years now, no leak. But if I didn't have to do that, the trans stop leak would have been my ticket!
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
nothing so permanent as a temporary fix that holds forever

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 15th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
John, I'm glad the power steering stop leak product has worked for you but I have been using the auto trans product. Our trucks use atf for power steering fluid so a product designed for seals used with atf is what is needed. The product simply softens a seal that has hardened with age.

FWIW my daughter has a disco 1 and it was leaking and we poured some in and it has completely stopped. Trey's truck still has not leaked since we poured some of this in.
That makes complete sense to use the trans product. Did you drive for a period of time or just pour it in and went on with life?
Old January 15th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin88RRC View Post
That makes complete sense to use the trans product. Did you drive for a period of time or just pour it in and went on with life?
I have used that first bottle on three different trucks and still have some left. No I didn't drive any of them right away. Around here getting driven takes care of itself quickly

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 15th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Looking to try the manual transmission version in my 109's Santana overdrive this weekend unless after more reading I see something against it.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old January 23rd, 2016, 07:10 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Tried this last week. Doug, next time I see you I owe you a 6er at least.

Worked like a charm... Amazing stuff
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:56 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Doug you said the name was Blue Pelican right? @RenChing
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac