leaking something - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:55 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

leaking something

I'm not sure what this joint is called- a universal join possiably? Anyway one of mine is leaking something. I assume its oil.

If this was a front wheel drive constant volicity join on some little compact car I would know what to do and if I needed to be concerned. But my D90 is a new beast with a whole set of new questions.

That said, since my 90 is mostly a road warrior right now should I care?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120531_165335.png
Views:	108
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	52422

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120531_165353.png
Views:	121
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	52423

I care?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:04 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Dump the oil and fill with grease. There are a few posts about it. Easy job and nothing to worry about.
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you saw the puddle that goes on under my 90 in the mornings you wouldn't consider yours a leak . I need to dig into it, but I've just been keeping it topped up.

From what I understand it's either your swivel ball seal or swivel ball preload (most likely). You can use one-shot grease (from AB/RN/etc) IF you don't plan to do any wheeling (especially in wet/water areas). Otherwise it's a pain to drain/refill (or, impossible with grease). If you plan to wheel in wet areas you'll need to drain/refill the swivel balls, so I'd avoid the grease in that scenario.

Sounds like it shouldn't be a big deal if yours is a road warrior. Drain and refill with one-shot.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah that's more of a stain or a dribble, not so much a leak! Live with the truck a little while and you'll figure out the things to be concerned about.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:30 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
A little lucas oil stabilizer will help the leak. That's the swivel ball seal that is leaking, it may be worthwhile to check the brother hose on the axle hosing.

It doesn't matter if it leaks unless it runs dry.

That's a lot of brake dust.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:37 PM
petminded
David

So this may be filled we oil? Now that I think about what part this is I would not have guessed oil.

And this is called a pivot ball? Id like to look it up so I can check out the repair details.

As for leaking it looks like my transfer case is a mess. How would 1 determine if its just the bottom plate on the transfer case that is leaking or some seal deeper in?

Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by petminded View Post
So this may be filled we oil? Now that I think about what part this is I would not have guessed oil.

And this is called a pivot ball? Id like to look it up so I can check out the repair details.

As for leaking it looks like my transfer case is a mess. How would 1 determine if its just the bottom plate on the transfer case that is leaking or some seal deeper in?

Thanks!
Fill it with 80W90. It's the swivel ball....or again, you could drain and refill with a special one-shot grease.

Find me a transfer case that DOESN'T leak and I'll be impressed. Sometimes it's the inspection cover, but generally I understand it's more often something like the intermediate shaft or the input/output seals. I just keep mine topped up because I'm too lazy to tear into it and too cheap to pay someone $800 to fix it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:18 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Go here, http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ak+ball+swivel this is from back in the day before I had redone almost every ball swivel and bearing on my Defender and my sons Disco. now I'm just bothered by the leaks, not worried. Ha
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:04 AM
petminded
David

Thanks every one!
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:11 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Also check for pitting on that chrome ball. That'll cause it to leak, too.

Just a note about the grease. When your seal finally gets so bad that even the grease seeps out, you'll regret putting that grease in there. It'll be everywhere.

Spend a day on the weekend to rebuild the whole thing, and then put the grease in if you like. The seal kit is relatively cheap, and it's not a difficult task.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:32 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I hated it when my chrome balls leaked

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:22 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Fill it with Land Rover One-Shot Grease

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
So you might be getting confused at this point, but I say fill with oil (75W90) and bear with the leak (which looks pretty small)

Based on the look of that swivel housing, it's been a while since anyone serviced the hub. You're eventually going to want to get in there and replace every seal and bearing in the fronts, then redo the swivel bearing preload.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions