Leaking Oil - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:30 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Leaking Oil

So I got my 200Tdi installed, up and running. I notice yesterday a pool of oil under the rig, behind the engine. Hey, its a Land Rover, it leaks a bit. Today I find a much bigger puddle. I spray the underside with engine cleaner and rinse it off. While I'm rolling up the hose I see more oil on the ground. It looks like its coming from between the engine and the tranny. I unthread the wading plug and oil drains out. I know, this isn't a good sign.
Whats your guess, rear main seal?
Anything else it could be?
Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Rear main would be my guess.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:50 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Thats what I'm thinking. I'm so bummed right now. I guess pulling the tranny is easier than pulling the motor back out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
The only other possibility I can think of is the main seal of the input shaft of the transmission. Sorry to hear that.

It's actually not that difficult to pull the tranny. I did it in a morning. Much easier if you don't have to separate the transmission from the transfer case.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:22 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Looks like engine oil to me. The tranny has very fresh oil so it wouldn't have any color. This is grayish, blackish, diesel sump looking oil.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I have done rear mains by dropping the oil pan and snaking a new seal up and around. Never done a rear main on a 200, someone with more experience in this might let you know if this is possible.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
If I had to do this job on the ground, without a lift, I would pull the motor rather than the transmission. It sucks to lay down and work. Pulling a motor is easy, especially if you don't have to swap other parts around to a new motor.
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes. You need to pull the flywheel housing off and seal it properly to the block as well. It is a lot more of a job than a normal motor. I agree. Without a lift pull the engine.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:55 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I think pulling the engine is easier.

When you order parts, have Trevor send you the Elring gasket for the block/flywheel housing. Get the OE rear main seal, not the Allmakes one.

Then when you install the seal, smear some Loctite 518 on the exterior perimeter of the new seal before driving it into the flywheel housing. I made the mistake of not doing that on mine and the seal began moving slightly in the housing allowing oil to escape.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions