Leaking Knuckles, bad seals - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:58 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Leaking Knuckles, bad seals

I have a clunk in the front of my D90 when hitting small bumps. I can feel some play in the wheels. I thought my seals were bad but I'm told the knuckle assembly was bad as well. I don't know what this means and I'm told the shop will need a special tool to do this job. Do I go to a shop with this tool or do I order some upgraded parts? I just need someone to steer me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 12:05 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Mike,

Have you checked for play in the swivel pins? The only special tool for the front end would be a fish scale to get the resistance right when replacing the swivel pins/ shims. Easy work. Do you want another set of eyes to look at it?
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:51 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Another set of eyes would be great. Are you around this weekend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '97 D90 had 6500 miles when I bought it, basically new. I raised each wheel by a floor jack and could feel a slight play when holding the wheel at 6 & 12 and pressing up and down. I pulled each front half shaft and could see some play in the wheel bearing, so I bought the big socket to tighten up the play. I probably only tightened each on maybe 1/8th of a turn. Solved that problem.

The swivel ball seal on the passengers side was leaking a little bit so I employed a method I had read about here, http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRhubseal.htm
to replace the seal without pulling the whole assembly to get to the seal and replace it. The method worked fine and has been in place over 2 years and no leakage.

IF you need swivel pins BE VERY CAREFUL about what you order !! On the '97's the upper pin is large and hollow to accommodate a sensor that slides down the center of it to read the device on the hub to judge wheel spin.

The "Clunk" could also be in the steering drop arm ball.
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Why did you think your seals were leaking? Do you have fluid on the swivel balls? If the swivel balls are pitted they will cause some leaking and may have gotten to the point of needing replacement? Have you tried the Land Rover "One Shot" in them. It is a thicker stickier fluid and may slow down the leaking. If you are getting a "clunk" when hitting bums that may or may not be associated with the leaking. You can check all of the front end components to make sure everything is tight. As stated above the wheel bearing could also be the reason. You do need a large hub nut socket/wrench to get the nut loose. I would also check the drive shaft to make sure they are sound at the joints.
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:57 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Why did you think your seals were leaking? Do you have fluid on the swivel balls? If the swivel balls are pitted they will cause some leaking and may have gotten to the point of needing replacement? Have you tried the Land Rover "One Shot" in them. It is a thicker stickier fluid and may slow down the leaking. If you are getting a "clunk" when hitting bums that may or may not be associated with the leaking. You can check all of the front end components to make sure everything is tight. As stated above the wheel bearing could also be the reason. You do need a large hub nut socket/wrench to get the nut loose. I would also check the drive shaft to make sure they are sound at the joints.
Yes MJ, I do have leaking from the swivel balls onto the garage floor. I haven't tried "one-shot".
I meant to mention that the bearings seem to be loose. I was rushed by my wife when posting the original. I think I need to replace all the wheel bearings. I have Napa bearings left over from a couple years ago, part#BR37. Anyone know if that is the right part?
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:12 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Timken 37 are the genuine wheel bearings.
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:47 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I'll be in town tomorrow late afternoon. PM coming your way.
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:07 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You may have to replace your seal also. Some times they are hard to get out and will leak if you try to re-install them. If you are getting some leaking from the axle you may want to think about replacing the stub axle seal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seals