Leaking injector pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Leaking injector pump

I started to smell diesel when exiting the truck so I poked around and found that the injector pump is totally wet with diesel. The other day I went over the thing with a bunch of wrenches and made sure everything was tight and it all was. I cleaned it all off this morning and just looked again to try to determine where it was coming from and the whole thing is wet again so I can't really tell what the problem is. Is there a common place where these things get compromised? If so, is there a rebuild kit for the pump on a 2.25 NA?

As always thanks in advance.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3219674182.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	51353   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3475357826.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	51354  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
looks like the fuel line near the top is held together by a zip tie. I would look there for starters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I started to smell diesel when exiting the truck so I poked around and found that the injector pump is totally wet with diesel. The other day I went over the thing with a bunch of wrenches and made sure everything was tight and it all was. I cleaned it all off this morning and just looked again to try to determine where it was coming from and the whole thing is wet again so I can't really tell what the problem is. Is there a common place where these things get compromised? If so, is there a rebuild kit for the pump on a 2.25 NA?

As always thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
That zip tie is actually just on the metal pipe and doesn't appear to be fastening anything. I only noticed it when I took those pics. My guess is that it is leaking at the top since the whole thing is wet. Those plastic lines aren't even held down by anything, should they have hose clamps on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
That zip tie is actually just on the metal pipe and doesn't appear to be fastening anything. I only noticed it when I took those pics. My guess is that it is leaking at the top since the whole thing is wet. Those plastic lines aren't even held down by anything, should they have hose clamps on them?
I wonder if those lines are just the Viton type that the Tdi's have on the fuel rail....they just slip on, but are known to leak eventually. Or are they more of a hard plastic line similar to the old Series rover fuel lines?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Not sure what they compare closer to, but my guess is probably Series. They are more like a plastic than rubber and do just slip on. I will look into replacing them even though I don't feel that they are the culprit.
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Can you clean if off, fire it up and once clean see if it leaks at idle so you can tell exactly where it's coming from?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I did try to do that. I pulled out the scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner from the house and that stuff did a great job at getting all the diesel soaked dust off from Uwharrie. I sprayed that stuff all over the whole engine bay and did better than any other cleaner I have found. But then I drove it to work and home before I checked it again and it was wet all over. I should do as you say and just run it in the driveway after its all cleaned off again.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:22 AM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I have a leaking injector pump on my 2.5 NA. You may check the area between the distribution and pressure side. From what I can tell there's a big o-ring between the two pump halfs. The scary part I've been told a rebuild on these pumps is crazy money.Acually cheaper to buy a new one and ship it from the UK. That's my plan for mine. It's a shame because my truck runs great even with the leak. But the diesel stinks.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Do you mean this seam highlighted in red? That's my best guess for the leak which seems like a bad place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1022942989.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	51712  
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Bringing this old thread back...

So I have replaced a few lines and that helped for a while but now in the past week diesel is dripping off the truck at a pretty rapid rate. Some looks to be coming from the metal lines as well as the pump. Does anyone know of a rebuild kit out there for the 2.25 injector pump?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:25 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Send me a n email.

Jeff:
Spoke to Dr. Dave...
Send me an email and will try and help Dave figure out what the issue is.
Good meeting you @ uwharrie.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions