Leaking grease seal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Rover- Girl

Question Leaking grease seal

The R front grease seal has been leaking for a few weeks now.
Want to wait to have it fixed until the next service is due on Nov 15th.
I will also have the tires rotated & balanced (thats why I wanna wait and just have it fixed then).
I was just wondering if it is ok to drive like this, or would that do more damage.
FYI..I have not driven it hart or off road since it started to leak...just run it back and forth to work.
Thanks for the heads up....
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
Do you mean the swivel housing? (shiny round part of your axle that allows truck to steer)

grease is leaking out of this?

regardless, if something has been leaking for a few weeks and you have a few more to go, then the level is low and you should add appropriate fluids. Its probably been leaking since before you noticed it. I dont think the grease in the swivels can leak unless something is majorly loose. Or unless the gear oil is getting into the swivels, and something is loose.

check for any loose bolts. get a wrench and try to tighten things. Add oil or grease. you cant overfill these things to the point of damage like an engine, so you might as well get to know your rover that much more and lube 'er up!

post pix if you want REAL help!

Old September 18th, 2006, 03:11 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Do you mean a lot of leaking... previous poster whas right if grease is leaking you have a problem... If it is oil and it is just leaking a bit... that is fine. Mine leak like hell but I just over fill them and keep an eye on the level. sure you can replace the seal but if they jsut started leaing oil you have a long way to go before it is a problem... just keep it full. speaking of which I really need to do this soon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions