leaking grease - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

leaking grease

i have grease weeping through where the half axle comes through the drive member and spraying over the front wheel, every thing is assembled right, how do i stop it (other than take out all the grease)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2006, 10:34 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Do you mean from the swivel ball seal?
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

on the outside where the rubber dust cap is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Is it only grease or grease and oil? If the inner seal is backward (the one on the inside wheel bearing) gear oil from the axle will mix with the wheel bearing grease and make a mess. It may also leak out onto the break rotor and spray all over that stuff too.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

pull the cap clean it well & seal it w/ hylo
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:16 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

only leaking on the out side,just been to look, i have a small rip in the hub cap where the grease is leaking through. new cap $2.80, super glue $5 no shipping on the glue

Old April 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

If you use super glue!
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Clarification question on this. I now have grease seeping out of one of my rear hub dust caps on my NAS 110. That dust cap has a tear in it. replacement ordered and on the way. Does the rubber dust cap actually keep in grease/oil, and therefore the tear is causing the problem, or is another seal internally supposed to keep it all in, preventing grease from getting into the dust cap, and therefore indicating that the problem is larger than just replacing the dust cap?
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just FYI, I have a couple of these covers new in the plastic that anyone is welcome to. I got rid of the seal all together. It has to be one of the dumbest designs out there.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
i have grease weeping through where the half axle comes through the drive member and spraying over the front wheel, every thing is assembled right, how do i stop it (other than take out all the grease)
No one seems to have mentioned the underlying cause . . if I may assume the cap is the same as always, and nothing is visibly different . . . then the reason grease started coming out is almost certainly that the inner axle seal has failed and gear oil is now melting the grease, and the liquified grease comes out where the formerly solid grease did not.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Monkeyboy

Ok, so there's more gear lube where we expect the wheel bearing grease to live by itself ... if we can keep the gear lube / grease soup inside the hub, what's the problem???

(Yes, I'm considering sealing up the rubber "hubcap" like the metal ones on the Series)

KAA - no inner axles seals on the Disco for years now ...
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I have run all my early coil sprung stuff with no inner axle seal for years since it worked so well on my 1988 RRC 250+K never needed wheel bearings. I'm not a engineer but if it works why did they try to "fix" it.

Eric
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn24whl
I have run all my early coil sprung stuff with no inner axle seal for years since it worked so well on my 1988 RRC 250+K never needed wheel bearings. I'm not a engineer but if it works why did they try to "fix" it.

Eric
When you modify a Rover with wider wheels, offset, big tires . . . you increase the load on the bearings. The strength of the system is reduced if there is no inner seal and they run in oil. So you are working it harder, and it's weaker.

That's the answer to "why fix it?"
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Monkeyboy

Whoa big fella'

I don't know about Eric, but I'm not about to go with any (significant) changes in offset other than those provided by LR wheels (from time to time the Disco wears the NATO steel wheels) ... and the 265/75 (on the D90) or 235/85 (on the Disco) size is plenty of tire for me too.

There are 143k miles on the Disco and only ~50k on the D90 and I've had to change one rear wheel bearing (on the Disco) that was water / mud contaminated by a bad hub seal ... seems like entirely reasonable life expectancy to me, given their periodic exposure to less that ideal conditions.

Oops, I'm a liar. I did replace bearings when I changed the rotors on the Disco. Still, plenty of reliability for me.

Awaiting enlightenment...

KAA
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robisonservice
When you modify a Rover with wider wheels, offset, big tires . . . you increase the load on the bearings. The strength of the system is reduced if there is no inner seal and they run in oil. So you are working it harder, and it's weaker.

That's the answer to "why fix it?"
I disagree with this on the basis that most all of the heavy equipment and larger trucks and forklifts that I have worked on utilized wet bearings in a fully floating axle application. I don't see eliminating the inner seals and running wet bearings as weakening anything. I have run my Defender this way for the last 100K miles. The only real problem encountered WRT doing this on a Land Rover is the potential for leaks. Land Rover offers a double lip hub seal that will effectively seal 90wt into the hubs. It is p/n RTC3511 and is a drop in replacement for the FTC4785. You just have to follow the directions printed on the seal and seat it to a depth of 3mm below flush to allow room for the extra lip. As far as the rubber drive flange cap...you might look at the cap from a NAS or earlier D110...they were more robust and fit tighter. Keith at Rover Tracks tells me the galvanized Series rover caps will fit, too...but I haven't tried it.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:09 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Story I heard was that LR didn't think the US would want the oil leaking out on drive ways. Series and early 90 & 110 had oil lubed wheel bearings.
Either the dust cap has split, the sealing surface has got mud or something in it or the axle breather is blocked to let the oil out.

OR

Your wheel is anout to fall off

Probably not the last thing but it pays to check

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Just FYI, I have a couple of these covers new in the plastic that anyone is welcome to. I got rid of the seal all together. It has to be one of the dumbest designs out there.
Didn't you get rid of the whole axle
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Follow-up Post:

Didn't you get rid of the whole axle [/QUOTE]

In the rear I have the hub and spindle of a rover modified to run a full floating axle with a 9in center. I took cut-outs of steel and welded them on the end of the drive flange so I could dump the little rubber pieces. So I have a few extra if anyone wants them.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions