Leaking Fox Shocks... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Leaking Fox Shocks...

The remote reservoir Fox shocks that came with the Stage III kit on my Classic are leaking nitrogen and the rears are starting to become irritatingly worthless. Is there somewhere I can have them rebuilt or will it be cheaper to just replace them? What are my other options if I need to replace them? Are there some out there that are adjustable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Fox mountain bike shocks can be rebuilt fairly easily, I assume it's not too hard for the big boys either. A quick google showed up several rebuild kits for a lot less than new shocks would be.
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Call Polyperformance and get a rebuild kit. 30 or 40 minutes and you can rebuild them. I try to rebuild mine every year or so - very easy. If anything is bent or tweaked, it can be replaced on the shock.
I think the rebuild kit is $9 for the remote reservoirs - it is cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Wow..sweet...as usual Google is my friend

Mine are 9 years old and have never been done...so I guess I'm due
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

If you go to the Fox website, they have rebuild instructions for the shocks. Also, if you want to change the valving of the shocks - now is the time to do it.
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you want an easy fix for a while, you can put ATF fluid in as a substitute for shock oil. The ATF swells the seals and prolongs the shock life for a while. A rebuild will be necessary eventually. Mine are just about shot.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Does ATF swell rubber o-rings? O-rings are what seal the Fox shocks. There is a fiber band that goes around the piston and keeps the oil flowing through the valves - I personally wouldn't want that swelling as it would prevent movement of the piston.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Does ATF swell rubber o-rings? O-rings are what seal the Fox shocks. There is a fiber band that goes around the piston and keeps the oil flowing through the valves - I personally wouldn't want that swelling as it would prevent movement of the piston.
Yes,

It swells the o-rings. It fixed a leak I had on mine. You just add a little to the oil in the res. Simple fix, but temporary. Although mine has held a year and counting.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Let me know if you ever rebuild it -what the effect was on that band around the piston.
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Let me know if you ever rebuild it -what the effect was on that band around the piston.
No problem. I am not too worried about it because I got the tip from the guy who rebuilds the SAW shocks. Had to have some major work done on them when I broke them both in half.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
If you want an easy fix for a while, you can put ATF fluid in as a substitute for shock oil. The ATF swells the seals and prolongs the shock life for a while. A rebuild will be necessary eventually. Mine are just about shot.
Best cheap trick in the world...been using it for years! (you should see the look of my BMW Motorcycle dealer when I told him about this...he almost disintegrated right there & then!)
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Thanks for the tip Buck. I'll give it a try and see how it does for a while before doing a rebuild.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

So I'm finally going to do this. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread about re-valving - mine have been pretty much toast for years so I'm not sure if the way they were originally is what I want or not - but I assume it is how SG wanted them done - so that is fine with me. When I rebuild them I'm only replacing the seals and the fluid right? The valving will be the same? Or do I need to find that out before I do it?
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
I would just go ahead and rebuild and revalve. It's not that hard. I just did a set of Sway Away coilovers not that long ago... took me like 2 hours or something... The trick is getting through the first one, after that they're easy.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

The rebuild instructions are of the Fox Shox site. There are two seals that look the same, but aren't - one is soft and the other hard. Just replace same with same Make sure the valve stacks remain the same direction and change the oil.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

When they say recharge with Nitrogen, can you just use air since it's 80% Nitrogen anyway? Or is there a reason to use pure Nitrogen?
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:59 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
When they say recharge with Nitrogen, can you just use air since it's 80% Nitrogen anyway? Or is there a reason to use pure Nitrogen?
No, you should only use a dry Nitrogen source.

The reason being dry nitrogen has no moisture/less thermal expansion/contraction. This will help prevent any great performance changes in the shock as it heats up during hard use.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Makes sense. I guess. Not a lot of moisture in the air up here at this time of year though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions