Leaking dash - 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Leaking dash - 110

So the dash is leaking in the 110. Passenger side under speaker, where the top of the kick panel attaches. I assume it is AC/Heaterbox related.

Before it does some massive damage anyone got an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:35 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

bump
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Have you checked your vent seals? Was the truck exposed to rain? I think the majority of leaks come in from the vent seals. I have taken the heater box off the bulkhead and aside from the big square hole where the blower blows in warm air, the only other holes are the 3-4 holes where it attaches to the bulkhead. Does it look like green fluorescent radiator fluid? That may be your heater element leaking. I don't have an AC so can't comment on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	25924  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

no vents in the 110. bulkhead is solid. I assume it is coming from the heater box
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Maybe wrap/tape up the box in plastic, then give it a good hosing down to verify the leak is really coming from there? I'm guessing there are a number of places i could be leaking in at still.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

i have a feeling it is water leaking above where the heater box attaches to the bulkhead
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
There's also a hole on the other side for the steering column. I am not sure about the NAS but my ROW bulkhead is ambidextrous. It has cutouts on the passenger side for the brake/clutch/accelerator boxes. It is simply covered with a blanking plate on the engine bay side.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

pretty sure NAS trucks arent cut that way
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:09 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Right so I'm suggesting you translate that feeling into fact. Tape it up above the heater box and see.

charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
i have a feeling it is water leaking above where the heater box attaches to the bulkhead
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

tape what up? in the engine bay? the thing is i am leaking without it ever raining so i assume it is the magic that goes on inside the heater/ac box
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Aah, I was forgetting where you live. Most of us live places where it rains and rains regularly.

Your problem must be a/c condensation (inside) then. Locate the drain tube and make sure it's clear. I can't help you identify it other than it should be near the bottom of the box and probably runs out the firewall into the engine bay.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

yeah drain tube at bottom of the box is clear.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
yeah drain tube at bottom of the box is clear.
Is it connected?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:52 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

it just hangs off the bottom of the box
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
My 110 leaked in the same spot and it was actually coming in along the door seal/post. I would check there as well. I think that's more likely than the heater.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Is it connected?
ROFL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover View Post
My 110 leaked in the same spot and it was actually coming in along the door seal/post. I would check there as well. I think that's more likely than the heater.
Except he's claiming it's not due to rain and is too stubborn to just dry spray a hose on it and observe. So hard to tell what he's seeing and if this is truly not related to moisture outside the vehicle, what other sources of moisture are there inside other than condensation off the A/C?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
What about the winshield washer? Plastic tube cracked? Pump shorting out and running?--should eventually run out of fluid though.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

new door seals. it is the same leak that caused a hole in bulkhead before that was fixed by last owner.

not coming from the doors as no rain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, dash