Leaking coolant problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Leaking coolant problem

I decided to remove and replace my horrible looking motor mounts. I jacked up the engine from the oil pan with some wood blocks to distribute the weight and all. At some point I must of loosened up or broke something in the coolant system. Now when the truck is sitting I have a slow leak of coolant. It doesn't appear to be coming from the radiator or the the fill cap. When the truck runs for a while and the engine heats up I see coolant leaking like a faucet. I just can't localize where it's coming from.

Any ideas what to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 01:25 AM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

How old are your coolant lines? You may just want to wholesale replace them if they're more than four or five years old. You may also want to check the coolant reservoir.
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Coolant lines are 3 years or a little older. I looked at the reservoir and didn't see any leaks. I'll have to order some new lines and see if that corrects the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 20th, 2010, 12:35 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Some places can also do leak testing using a dye and lamp setup that causes the fresh leak to glow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

You probably loosened the lower radiator hose / clamp while jacking the engine up. I did the exact same thing, visually inspect, adjust hose/clamp and you should be ok. That or put a new hose on just to be sure.

Robert Deniro
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:14 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I'll check the coolant hose in the morning. If that's not it I'll look for some place that can do a leak test.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
You probably loosened the lower radiator hose / clamp while jacking the engine up. I did the exact same thing, visually inspect, adjust hose/clamp and you should be ok. That or put a new hose on just to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
How old are your coolant lines? You may just want to wholesale replace them if they're more than four or five years old. You may also want to check the coolant reservoir.
Michael and Neil
You both had it right. The one of the coolant lines looks a bit older then the rest. Must have not been changed out when I had work done on it. The line looks a bit worn and the hose clamps on a few were loose. But I did find the one responsible for the leak! Tightened down and I'll be ordering a fresh set of coolant lines and clamps so they all are in good working order.
Thanks for the help and diagnosis!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant