Leaking... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 24th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Matt White
94 D-90

Unfortunately not in the usual places.

I'm leaking a lot of ATF fluid from the area between the power steering box and the drop arm. Would buying a new seal kit fix this problem?

Also since I'm college I have a limit number of tools to work with, however, I do have an impact wench, could I do it myself? What I mean is I don't want to have to remove half the parts from the steering box in a parking lot. A few nut and seals would be fine.

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi
You can get a fluid you add to your atf that swells the seals in the box & stop it leaking. I think brake fluid does the same thing?
power steering stop leak

I would try this first, stripping them down with limited tools isn't easy & home reair is rarely succesfull unfortnately. Most people in the UK fit a new/recon when they leak.

Adwest is the company that manufactures the boxes & they sell direct over here (cheap as well)

Sniff my Diff ;)
Old March 29th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
Matt, I agree with Brett, try the stop leak first. This same thing happened to my '95 Disco not long ago, unfortunately ended up replacing the steering box... I hope the stop leak works for you.
"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions