Leakage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Leakage

Took my truck in for 60k service and they found some leaks. Apparently the transfer case is leaking a lot and the rear main oil seal is leaking. To fix the rear main oil seal leak, they said they have to remove the transmission, flywheel, and engine pan to access the main seal and cap cross seals. This seems to be a lot more work than some other posts I've seen on the forum. Total to fix the rear main oil seal is 40 bucks for parts and 1100 for labor. To fix the transfer case leak its 80 for parts 1100 for labor.

What do you guys think? Is this in line with what any of you guys have experienced in the past? I just wanted to see what you guys know about these issues and what your thoughts are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

where did you go?
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Typical dealer rip off stuff.

It is not your rear main seal, it never is, just replace the cross seals. (search here)

T case is probably fine (oil from the cross seals blows onto the t-case and makes it look like it leaks. If it does have a leak from somewhere, it does not need a "full reseal" and even a full reseal should not be 11 hours of labor especially WHEN THEY ARE SAYING THEY HAVE TO PULL THE TRANS AND TCASE TO DO THE REAR MAIN!!!! If it is anything other than the input seal it can be done fairly easily with the t-case in place.

In any event, both can be ignored if you just keep the oil topped up.
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Must be a dealer, they love 60k inspections. If you want to fix a rear main seal, that's a lot of labor no doubt, probably 8 hours even at the best places. The important thing is to determine how bad it is. You've got super low miles for the year, and its no surprise its leaking, but if its only weeping a bit then its not an immediate problem. If it was mine, I'd keep an eye on it and try to stretch it out until the clutch needs changing, so you can at least do both at the same time.

Follow-up Post:

Wait, I just re-read that - is that 1100 x 2? That's way dumb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It Is Not The Rear Main Seal. It Is Never The Rear Main Seal. All Cross Seals Leak, No Rear Main Seals Ever Leak!!!!!!!
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Took it to British Car Service by LAX. Everything else I had them do has been reasonably priced. It's just to fix these 2 leaks that they are charging a lot for. So far its been a great experience working with them. I guess its time I do my research on the cross seals.
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I defer to Ron V8ness - its never lupus.

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

BCS is honest just pricey. My 90 is due for a 60k service. I was going to go to them but was honestly afraid of what they would say.
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer
Took it to British Car Service by LAX. Everything else I had them do has been reasonably priced. It's just to fix these 2 leaks that they are charging a lot for. So far its been a great experience working with them. I guess its time I do my research on the cross seals.
Just be dαmn sure you know were the leak is coming from before pumping 2k into it. How much fluid are you losing between oil changes? If it's just weaping oil, let it go. Like Ron suggested, keep an watchful eye on it. When the time comes to major work on the motor, fix it at that time...

Good luck...

Cheers...
Old November 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I just brought one of my DIIs there to have a leak in the trans fixed. They replaced the rear output seal, replaced the output shaft and replaced the seals on my tcase. Cost was a little over $800. Not sure if this cost was discounted (not that it was cheap) as I had bought my used tcase from them, although it was installed by someone else.

I tend to feel they really know what they are doing as compared to other shops in the area. They are a bit pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for. Steve and Beverly are good people too.

Good luck.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Also, check the vent tubes. If clogged, pressure can build and cause leaks...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions