Leak on rear wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2013, 05:01 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Leak on rear wheel

I have a leak on the rear right weel. The fluid is being sprayed around the inside of the tire and is building up on the bottom of the brake pad. I believe this is a hub seal leak from looking around on the forum. Brake fluid levels haven't changed.

Strangely, this happened right after I added a "homemade" (read, 3 ft of fish tank tubing) breather extension to that axle. As far as I can tell the breather line is clear, even with the extension. The extension tube is transparent so I can see that there are no obstructions there.

I can blow through the tube, though it does take some force (I'm assuming this is because of the sheer length of the tube - about 5 ft). When I connect the tub to the axle and tighten it down I can blow in the tube, but not for long b/c pressure builds up within about 1-2 seconds. I'm assuming that's because the entire axle & diff are sealed & that the fitting is not blocked. I've visually inspected the fitting and it looks fine.

To be safe I've removed my breather extension, but the hub still seems to be leaking.

Am I missing something? Is it just a coincidence that the hub is leaking right after I started working on the breather tube?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2013, 05:36 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I guess the pressure to push thru breather is superior to the pressure to go thru the old seal, so the seal is gone.
Make sure is not brake fluid before you take everything apart.
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I just replaced my leaky wheel cylinder in the rear drum on my truck after seeing the streaks on the inside of the tire. Not sure if your disk brake would have a similar issue but it could.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2013, 05:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well at least gear oil has a very distinct smell vs. brake fluid.

If it's gear oil then the seal was probably already suspect and the path of least resistance once you added the longer breather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Okay. To confirm: this is the seal I want to order right? Anything else I should change while I'm in there?

http://landroverparts.roversnorth.co...=PLH002&type=0

------ Follow up post added July 6th, 2013 03:19 PM ------

And yah it smells like gear oil.
Old July 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Check your wheel bearings for play or wear.
Old July 8th, 2013, 06:24 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Okay, I'll check the bearings. And I need the hub outer seal, right? Just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel