Late td5 dash wiring - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp View Post
Thanks for the quick response guys. I am going to try and tackle this in the morning. So can I just leave Pin 8 on the new switch blank since I will not have an indicator in the instrument pod. Will this be ok or will it create an incomplete circuit. I know dumb ?s but when it comes to electrical I have no clue. If that is the case pin 7 and 8 on the nas plug will not be used and I will only be using one black ground wire. & Should i use a touch of solder or is that overkill?

You should be fine with no warning indicator, it's not a critical part of the circuit.

Only using one Black ground wire should also be fine, as both Pins 9 and 10 on the NAS connector loop together and go back to the same earth header.

I wouldn't solder the terminals for the 2002 (Sumitomo) connector, just crimp them.

Jim Davis at Eastern Beaver has a tutorial for crimping small terminals (for sealed connectors, but the principle is exactly the same), here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...as/extras.html

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
motap
neal

Has anyone retrofitted power front windows / heated seats into a NAS truck with the TD5 dash?
Old May 18th, 2013, 02:51 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

this is a great question. I have power windows installed and want to hook up the Td5 electric window switches. Does anyone know the type of connector needed and which pins to hook up to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
this is a great question. I have power windows installed and want to hook up the Td5 electric window switches. Does anyone know the type of connector needed and which pins to hook up to?

If you're using YUF101521LNF (or the earlier YUF101520LNF) electric windows switches, then you need the White 6-way switch connectors.

These are a 6-way version of the 5-way switch connectors used on most of the other TD5 switches -

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03613.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	72520

I have had some used and 'new take-off' connector housings, which I have sold with new terminals (as pictured above), but I don't have any at the moment.

There are also Green, Black, Blue and Purple variants of these connectors (used for central locking, sunroofs, tailgate and rear windows switches), these can also be utilised for front electric windows switches, by paring-off the connector’s keyways with a sharp knife, so that they will fit into any of the differently keyed switches.

They can be found on Post-2002 Defender, Freelander-1, and Discovery II

The terminals to fit these connectors are from the same range as the 5-way switch connectors, I can supply these to fit -

0.3 - 0.5mm˛ cable

0.5 - 1.5mm˛ cable

up to 2.0mm˛

On the TD5 Defender, these switches switch the window motors directly, there are no relays or ECUs in the witching circuit -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender 2002 TD5 LHD Electric Windows Circuit.jpg
Views:	6444
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	72528

If the above attachment isn't clear enough, then PM me your email address and I'll send you the original image, which is 1950 x 1375 pixels.

The switch's illumination connections aren't shown on the above diagram (Land Rover show them on a separate diagram).

This is connected to terminal 6 of each switch connector, on a Red/Orange trace 0.5mm˛ wire.

Paul.

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash, td5, wiring