late seats in an early d90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2013, 04:51 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
late seats in an early d90

Hello all,

Has anyone put later style Defender seats w/ the skinny mounting rails in an early d90 with the wider mounts? If so, what is involved, how bad? Research says it is not that difficult, but I've not heard from anyone who has actually done it.

I am deciding if I should recover my original seats or buy a refurbished set from one of the vendors here. The cost differential is not that bad and selling my old d90 seats really narrows the difference. Time savings is a bonus, plus while mechanical work is entertaining, interior & trim just don't do it for me.

w
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you mean the ones pre-Puma, they should bolt straight in. I've done that with mine. The seats simply bolt to the seat box and the underside is easily accessible.

If Puma seats, I have no experience.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone put later style Defender seats w/ the skinny mounting rails in an early d90 with the wider mounts? If so, what is involved, how bad? Research says it is not that difficult, but I've not heard from anyone who has actually done it.

I am deciding if I should recover my original seats or buy a refurbished set from one of the vendors here. The cost differential is not that bad and selling my old d90 seats really narrows the difference. Time savings is a bonus, plus while mechanical work is entertaining, interior & trim just don't do it for me.

w
many times. You simply choose one set of the existing holes the outer's or the inner's.

There is no difference between early and later (pre-2008) seats other than that the early seats are bolted to the seat box better. Buy a set of retrim kits and drop those and your seats off with an upholstery shop. They should be able to install them in a day (there is no sewing or cutting required) and then you will have new seats.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2013, 05:26 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Does this apply to replacing MOD seats too? Could I just bolt in something like this:

http://shop.urbanlandcruisers.com/sh...30-seats-copy/
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:52 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Hello all,

w
Retrim would make your life a lot easier then, bring it to a shop to do if you don't want to deal with the headache. the kits aren't too expensive then no fabrication at all...
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

And retrimming them yourself isn't that heavy a lift.

Old December 10th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Some of the earlier seats I have seen have four bolts per rail as compared to the NAS style that have two bolts per rail, (two rails per seat) If your seat has the hard plastic back it is different than the newer seat style and a bit harder to find the re-trim kits. They are different. You can change out the bottom part of the rail so if you found some newer seats you can change them out so you do not have to drill new holes for the newer seat.
Old December 10th, 2013, 09:04 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
Some of the earlier seats I have seen have four bolts per rail as compared to the NAS style that have two bolts per rail, (two rails per seat) If your seat has the hard plastic back it is different than the newer seat style and a bit harder to find the re-trim kits. They are different. You can change out the bottom part of the rail so if you found some newer seats you can change them out so you do not have to drill new holes for the newer seat.
My 85 had the 4 bolt pattern with plastic back
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:46 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Thanks all. I will give re-trim a go. I have some kits in techno cloth on the way from Safari HP. Understand that they may not be a perfect fit on the early seats, but this is not exactly a show truck. I my try and keep the plastic backs though.

w
..tolerant Wife...
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:30 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
many times. You simply choose one set of the existing holes the outer's or the inner's.
Which do most people choose? I'm guessing the outers, closest to the edge of the seat box.

How far from the edge of the seat box are the bolt holes for the newer style seat rails?

Also, are they bolted to captive nuts on the bottom of the seat box or do I need to get to the bottom side with a wrench?

Are the bolts usually just flat head/slotted screws, and not hex head? That's what I've got right now, no hex.
Old June 4th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Which do most people choose? I'm guessing the outers, closest to the edge of the seat box.

How far from the edge of the seat box are the bolt holes for the newer style seat rails?

Also, are they bolted to captive nuts on the bottom of the seat box or do I need to get to the bottom side with a wrench?

Are the bolts usually just flat head/slotted screws, and not hex head? That's what I've got right now, no hex.
IMO which I may get flamed for,the way to do these is the way the MOD had the Tithonus trucks done. A bolt up from underneath with two nuts then the seat then a third nut. This way you remove the top nuts and can quickly remove the seat, yet the studs/bolts stay put and facilitate quick replacement of the seat. The seat rails are spaced up 3/8 inch due to the double nuts below the seat rail which makes the seat box lids much easier to use as they no longer foul with the seat adjuster handle in front. As far as the four holes, I use the inner set as I'm already rubbing my shoulder on the "B" pillar so spacing inward an inch and a half helps.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 4th, 2014, 07:41 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Thanks!

If I choose the inner set on both sides, do you know if a standard size cubby still fit between the seats?
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks!

If I choose the inner set on both sides, do you know if a standard size cubby still fit between the seats?
What do you consider "standard" ? In my truck a NAS cubby was retro fit by the next owner

Dividing Creek Imports

Old June 4th, 2014, 08:25 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
What do you consider "standard" ? In my truck a NAS cubby was retro fit by the next owner
I guess I don't really know. But that sounds good to me.

So I guess the nuts aren't captive on mine, the screws just turned, once I got through all of the paint.
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I guess I don't really know. But that sounds good to me.

So I guess the nuts aren't captive on mine, the screws just turned, once I got through all of the paint.
Its usually a wide plat with two "retained" nuts. Crappy design. I have had to drill the heads off many of the screws.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, seats