Lashcap issues/valve cap issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Lashcap issues/valve cap issues

Hey,
I posted this once before, and searched the internet up and down, but i never really got an answer.
Basicaly what is happening, is i have a fresh 300 tdi, that had about 17000 miles on it. It was the rebuilt up using genuine LR parts, or OEM... no Britpart.
Once the engine was installed, it turned over fine, and is running with no performace issues. The exhaust is barley visible in both idel and use.
But when we went to check the valve/lash caps at 1000 km, they were worn and needed replacing. So we replaced them with Genuine LR ones not OEM ones...Re did the valve adjustments ussing a .008 or .0203mm feeler gauge. Then dumped the oil, removed the pan, and cleaned it all out to remove the small metal bits perduced by thier wear. Once the oil change was complete, ran it for 600 more km and cheked. These caps are even worse. There is one that has been worn out so bad it is nothing more then a dougnut now Does any one had any issues as to why this would be happening?
any thoughts? we have pulled front of the truck apart and double checked the timing. Timing appears to be dead on....
thanks
craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Sounds like junk parts. Or adjusted incorrectly.

I use hardened lash caps from an Air Cooled volkswagon. EMP makes then, should be available on ebay. A big improvement over factory or other makes quality. Only 10 dollars or so a set. Have done this for a couple dozen or so engines now. To many problems with factory lash caps.

Some time back many factory new engines were released with non hardened lash caps.. Or at least not hardened correctly. Lot of failures resulted. It is an ongoing problem and weak point of the engine. The EMP caps are a better option.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:50 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
poor lubrication (due to excessive fuel in motor oil or weak oil pressure), defective parts, loose lash thus causing tapping (I don't now the proper lash of these motor), bent push rod(s), valve springs too heavy to compress. are some issues which come to mind inmmediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
Sounds like junk parts. Or adjusted incorrectly.

I use hardened lash caps from an Air Cooled volkswagon. EMP makes then, should be available on ebay. A big improvement over factory or other makes quality. Only 10 dollars or so a set. Have done this for a couple dozen or so engines now. To many problems with factory lash caps.

Some time back many factory new engines were released with non hardened lash caps.. Or at least not hardened correctly. Lot of failures resulted. It is an ongoing problem and weak point of the engine. The EMP caps are a better option.

Are these the ones your talking about ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-4006-VW...a#ht_500wt_922

Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Yes those are the parts I use in that ebay link.

Old January 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
trybul
Craig Hobbs
D90 83

Thanks for the feed back Pendy.
I will call the local VDub place today and see if they stock these parts.
Also, perhapa a qestion that should be asked... should these caps fit on the stem faily tight... or should they be lose and rattle around?
thanks
c
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The stock ones will move around. Especially when they start to mushroom. These ones will be a tight fit. Yes your local VW Dub place should stock them, for the air cooled tuner boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trybul View Post
Thanks for the feed back Pendy.
I will call the local VDub place today and see if they stock these parts.
Also, perhapa a qestion that should be asked... should these caps fit on the stem faily tight... or should they be lose and rattle around?
thanks
c

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions