Larger intercooler on 200tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 19th, 2010, 04:05 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

Larger intercooler on 200tdi

This is my first diesel powered vehicle and I'm looking for ways to insure it's longevity and increase power if I can do it in ways that won't compromise it's reliability. So, toward that end, I did a search but didn't find any discussions on larger intercoolers for a 200tdi. I'm wondering if putting a larger intercooler on mine will give some increase in turbo life expectancy and increased power. If so, anybody got any experience doing that and which cooler? Welcome any suggestions from those who have the experience.
Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I have the 300 so don't know about the 200's as much. Here is a site for a intercooler, http://www.allardturbosport.co.uk/index.php?page=test.
I have heard the guys in the UK are fitting a 300 turbo to the 200 to get more power.
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It won't affect reliability. It allows higher safe fueling increases.

An EGT gauge is the first thing you should get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:57 PM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

I posted a question earlier about how to best add instruments and one of the instruments that I want to include is an EGT along with a few others. I'm asking for suggestions about how to best do that. Thanks.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Bigger intercooler + standard fuelling & boost will help keep EGT's down, although the "safe" EGT's have (hopefully) been sussed out by the manufacturer in the development stage, so in theory there should be nothing to go wrong.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

If you want to go reliable but get some good improvement and can afford it, talk to Andrew at Allisport and I strongly recommend getting him to provide a full setup of alloy rad, stock size but uprated intercooler, and alloy rad frame along with silicone hoses and alloy joiners. Then you get a nice clean setup and you won't be worrying about the rad being undersized once things get warmer, especially if you do up the fueling as much as you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM
DieselDef
Brad Ingalls
1985 Defender

My thinking was that it would help cool the turbo a little thereby increasing it's life. I really don't have a need to increase power as much as I want to increase mileage and reliability. I also intend to put an oil cooler on the truck because I'd think that turbo heats up the oil a bit.
I may go with an Allisport or something similar to get increased cooling for the turbo. Obviously, I'm still in the research/learning stage and trying to figure out what direction to go and what to do first. I appreciate the input guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi