Land Rover Technical Information and Component Serial Numbers/Types - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Essra
Essra Kibler
'95/D-90 NAS Soft Top

Land Rover Technical Information and Component Serial Numbers/Types

I Recently purchased a 95 NAS D-90, 5 Speed soft top. I am looking to obtain general technical information, specifically comonent serial numbers and types since they vary depending on model and features. Specifically, I am looking for exact Transmission Type, X-case Type as well as any other type of component (i.e. alternator) that might vary depending on aformentioned specs.

I have a service/workshop manual which assists here, indicating differnt types of components and locations of serial numbers on each. I have not been that successful in narrowing down unquestionable specs, as I am no expert technition and the servie manual covers a wide range of component types for my year. Is there a repository online or at Land Rover that will have all of the exact specs for my model based on the VIN?

Here is what I think I know thus far, but would like to confirm

Tranny Type - LT85
x-Case Type - LT230T

I contacted the Local dealership in my area (Richmond, VA), and they pointed me to an online global technical reference site.....didn't find anything specific there, all they seemed to have was '97 documents. What about the Solihull plant...would they have records going down to the serial number detail for my ride?

Tried to scour the forum for similar posts on this topic, to no avail. I apologize if this has been covered already somehwere. I really would like comprehensive info specific to my ride. Have already dug mine to see what I could find......not too much luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2008, 11:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

What are you trying to do?

Transmission is an R380 not an LT85, T-case is an LT230T: you are correct on that one.

Rovers are not like porsche where you can call the factory and pay $135 to get the serial number of your engine, trans etc.

However, unlike a lot of other makes, everything rover makes is date stamped (nearly everything anyway) if you want to know if it is original.

That being said, if you need a part, when you call a dealer (or anyone else with the electronic parts book) and type in your VIN it will bring up all the right part numbers, but bear in mind much has been superseded with newer part numbers since 1995.

Ron
Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Essra
Essra Kibler
'95/D-90 NAS Soft Top

All I am trying to do is assemble the component types that may or may not need to be known when I work on it. I would like to have all of these listed out in one place for my use. Things like the tranny type and transfer case type are the big ones (thanks Ron for the info), but items such as alternator (i.e. bosch vs. lucas), distributor model, and other components that might vary from year to year, model to model.

I think this information, as well as serial numbers for the bigger items, may be helpful to have at the ready when I am performing maintenance, I was hopeful there was an information source that might have all of these instead of having to dig into the rover and get them piecemeal.

Sounds like I just need to assemble this info as I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

There were so few D90's of NAS spec, for so short a time, if you need a part and base it on "1995 D90 5-speed" odds are slim you'll get the wrong part. At least when it comes to getting stock parts.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Plus many of the wear parts have been superseded; some mulitple times. If it does make you feel better, the parts catalog and the online parts catalog you can buy, both have VIN cut offs for the few changes in the model years. Many of them are wrong ... but that is another story.

All that being said, so many parts cross over that you should not have that much of an issue.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Congrats on joining the club and finding this site...

First thing you should do is join your local LR club. Those guys will be able to help you out with everything.

Get a copy of the RAVE CD, it contains everything you need from the parts manual, wiring diagrams and the service manual.

3rd, use the search feature within the forum to look up the information you need. It is all containted here.

Welcome aboard,

Scott

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
welcome. post some pictures of your truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essra

Sounds like I just need to assemble this info as I go.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Essra, It don't think it will give you serial numbers, but if you want the build specs, go to your local LR dealer and ask a service writer to print a DCS on your truck. I forget what it stands for, but it gives all the specs you need to locate correct parts.

Like these guys said though, it isn't all that important with these trucks compared to the new RR where you have to know if your side mirrors are for LHD or RHD, electrochromatic or not, power folding or not, heated or not, with or without the puddle lamp etc...just for a side mirror!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions