Land Rover Addiction - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Land Rover Addiction

I realize that this is the forum for technical discussions but as you will see I think this message needs to be seen by everyone who suffers from this aliment.

I have come to the conclusion that there is a potentially pervasive state of mind that maybe affecting a small segment of the population; “Land rover Addiction”.

I have prepared some questions to help diagnose this ailment from my own experiences and hope this will be of help and interest or amusement to others.
1. Do you go to Land Rover forums at least once a day?
2. Do you have more than three books on repairing or modifying Land Rovers?

3. Do you have a list of more than 5 websites related to Land Rovers?

4. Have you worked in frigid cold, blazing heat and torrential rains fixing your Land Rover?

5. Have you ignored any other vehicles in your stable just to be with your Land Rover?

6. Do you buy parts for your Land Rover just “because”?

7. Do you think about the next fix or modification on your Land Rover during business meetings, family reunions and other pleasurable activities?

8. Do you talk to your non Land Rover owner friends about your Land Rover?
If you answered yes to more than 4 of these questions I suggest you are a Land Rover Addict.

Unfortunately I don’t believe there is a cure for Land Rover addiction although I think the community should come up with a twelve step program. Not as a cure but as an antidote.

Some suggestions; don’t touch your Land Rover for 24 hours. Or think about other vehicles like Jeeps or Land Cruisers (this may have side effects such as severe stomach cramps, hallucinations, loss of tools and a desire to drink motor oil).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I wish I had only 5 booked marked sites...it's more like 405...I actually have a folder with three sub-folders...
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

9: Do you keep your most recent Land Rover parts purchase a secret from your wife/gf/lover?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
10. Have you worked on your Land Rover during a lunch break or in your office's parking lot?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:04 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
10. Have you worked on your Land Rover during a lunch break or in your office's parking lot?
10A) Have you worked on your land rover while driving it.

11) Is there a trail of oil leading down your street and into your driveway
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
12) Are your Land Rover assets outperforming your actual portfolio? But then you realize that you're still spending way too much on your land rover's other accessories and upkeep...
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
13) Have you sent me a check for parts because you don't want the wife finding out?
14) Have you gone into the shop attempting 3 repairs and left after 5?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Do random people call you and ask for advice on land rovers?

Are you known locally as "the land rover guy?"

Does your house look like an episode of hoarders?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

Has Pedro called you out of the blue, asking you if you want to buy some of his parts....and you say yes.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:39 AM
Acrotek LR Spares
Paul Verios
2013 Puma Defender 90

15) When you parked in a parking lot right along the main road and contemplate pavement hoping instead of going all the way around?

Does this LR community mainly consist of USA or?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I wish I had only 5 booked marked sites...it's more like 405...I actually have a folder with three sub-folders...
Now go and find a third of them are duplicates......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
16) you build an entire garage just to hold more rovers.
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
14) Have you gone into the shop attempting 3 repairs and left after 5?
Never. I'm lucky if I finish 1! Or I'm lucky if I finish 1 without creating 2 more. hahaha
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:51 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
17) Does your wife/sig other threaten to sell the piece of #$#& that dirties her/his driveway

or is this just me?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Never. I'm lucky if I finish 1! Or I'm lucky if I finish 1 without creating 2 more. hahaha
Exactly... you broke 2 more things on the 3 repairs and had to fix those too

I'm lucky I can walk into the other area and get parts off the shelf that I broke...
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:57 AM
KSARover110
Dan
1983 Rover 110

17. When travelling, do you pack only minimal clothes to leave room for spare parts in the suitcase?

Hey Paul...nice to see you joined the forum. I made it back to Saudi loaded down from your shop. Guys, Paul is in Johannesburg if anyone finds themselves in S. Africa and/or looking for parts, check his site.

Cheers Dan
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Paul,

My first experience in a "real" Land Rover was in South Africa and Kenya while on safari. Up at 5 AM in an open Land Rover in the cold with a driver and a tracker who always had a gun in his arms and trying to catch sight of the animals in their habitat. Off at night, in the dark where we were being watched by the animals.

Getting caught on a bolder while tracking a group of Rhinoceros introduced me to the importance of grab handles on the vehicle. We had to lift the vehicle off the rock and get out of that predicament. I have grab handles on my Defender but I doubt they will ever get used.

I asked the drivers why the drove Land Rovers rather than Toyota Land Cruisers. They told be Land Rovers didn't get hung up on rocks and other obstacles because the wheels are located closer to the front and back with less overhand and that fact that they could lift up the Land Rover.

Anyway, I think folks from South Africa are true Land Rover aficionados and use Land Rovers as intended so your input is both welcome and appreciated. Besides I think South Africa and the people there are great. Very fond memories of Cape Town, Johannesburg and the safari. We drove around the country side (not in Land Rovers unfortunately) and did some helicopter sight seeing (I am a helicopter pilot and was able to rent one when I was there).

Welcome!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
18. Have you considered not dating or trading in your significant other for someone who shares (or tolerates) your love of Land Rovers?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:17 AM
Acrotek LR Spares
Paul Verios
2013 Puma Defender 90

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richord View Post
Paul,

My first experience in a "real" Land Rover was in South Africa and Kenya while on safari. Up at 5 AM in an open Land Rover in the cold with a driver and a tracker who always had a gun in his arms and trying to catch sight of the animals in their habitat. Off at night, in the dark where we were being watched by the animals.

Getting caught on a bolder while tracking a group of Rhinoceros introduced me to the importance of grab handles on the vehicle. We had to lift the vehicle off the rock and get out of that predicament. I have grab handles on my Defender but I doubt they will ever get used.

I asked the drivers why the drove Land Rovers rather than Toyota Land Cruisers. They told be Land Rovers didn't get hung up on rocks and other obstacles because the wheels are located closer to the front and back with less overhand and that fact that they could lift up the Land Rover.

Anyway, I think folks from South Africa are true Land Rover aficionados and use Land Rovers as intended so your input is both welcome and appreciated. Besides I think South Africa and the people there are great. Very fond memories of Cape Town, Johannesburg and the safari. We drove around the country side (not in Land Rovers unfortunately) and did some helicopter sight seeing (I am a helicopter pilot and was able to rent one when I was there).

Welcome!
Hi Richord,

I won't lie, we are rather spoilt with the beauty of 4x4 trails all over South Africa and especially the weather although it does get a touch cold in winter haha.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:29 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Jeff, recognizing you're addicted is the first step to recovery

I think this rule also applies to getting stuck. Recognizing you're stuck is the first step to recovery!

Perhaps we need to convene some interventions to help members with their addiction. I understand off road activities is one way!

The opportunity to do some "group" therapy , like admitting your tires are just not adequate or you suffer from shock and spring envy or that a snorkel is sometimes just a snorkel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
land rover