LABOR RIP OFF questions ????!!!!!! HELP - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Rover- Girl

Angry LABOR RIP OFF questions ????!!!!!! HELP

I just have found out that I have a couple of leaking
axel seals, they also told me in the shop that I was in
need of a new set of rear brake pads....and that I had
a damaged caliber that needet 2 be replaced !
They quoted me $ 849.99 +tax !
I am a little set back by this estimate.
I called DAP and requested a price on all
the parts needet, wich came to only $ 278.50.
This includet a "rebuild caliber".. they add a $ 60.00 dollar
charge on top, but I would get the $ 60.00 back by returning
my old caliber for them to rebuild .

So in other words... they would charge me over $ 500.00
bucks just for the labor... I smell BULLSHIT
I bought the parts needet from DAP( they should be
here by Tuesday... the truck still runs fine.
should I look for another place 2 have the work done
Or do I owe someone an appologie
My husband 's allready on my back about this shit, but...
and I hate 2 say this but its true...
I told him " If you knew how to fix a fucking vehicle ( like most men )
then I would not have to fucking hire someone else to do the job"!
Yes not a very happy place here at home right now....sigh
sorry for the MELTDOWN.. any info would be great...
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Forgive me, but........

Damn, I love it when women talk dirty!
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well it depends on their hourly rate, I can do a rear axle seal and break pads in about 2 hours in the driveway once I drag out all the tools. and it doesn't add too much time to change the caliper and bleed the break fluid, maybe 1/2 an hour. So figure both sides could be done in about 5 hours, at $100 an hour thats about right, but at $50 an hour they are either really slow or they are overcharging you. maybe someone has a book with estimated shop times for these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Whole job should run 1 hour max. Probably $100 an hour or so at an expensive shop. Personally, this is about the easiest job you will be faced with so I would recommend you or your husband trying it. Good time to learn as you can't really screw anything up.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

sounds a touch high but in the ballpark. how much is the hrly rate?

most places get 75-100 bucks an hour. that is going rate. why not make it a project for you and your husband? learn a new skill and do it yourself, might take longer but you will feel a lot better at the end of it all.
Old September 30th, 2005, 10:44 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

You're just at the 'tip' of the iceberg... LOL

Let me know when you want to sell... I can probably paint it Arles Blue... boo-hoo...

You need to buy a parts & shop manual and start learning ... Unless hubby goes out wheeling with you every time you go out you need to learn. What's going to happen when you're stuck somewhere and you don't know how to fix it ? or at the very least, how to diagnose ?

Nicholas Orros
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Christine, get used to it. LR guys when they see a women with D90 and money they tend to rip her off any way possible, or that what I saw here in CO. Good luck
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM
RoverChic
D-90 Source P.I.
02 D2, 13 E350 AMG, 11 Ford F350

Christine~ Send me an email and I can get that disc mailed out.
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:37 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I agree... and on top of that they don't take into account that the D90 itself isn't really all that hard to work on, it's just that once they 'hear' or 'know' it's a D90 they automatically say ... "well, it's going to be this because of the rarity of the vehicle..." and blah, blah, blah. I realized that this truck really isn't that bad, mostly thanks to my many hours on the phone with Mike Hippert. (Mike... You rule )

Most mechanics are LITERALLY scared to work on it, I found a halfway decent shop here but it took a while and they're not exactly the best at customer service. I'd try an Independent Land Rover shop first, which I don't know of any in PC, then go for an 'Independent Foreign Shop', then the only other choices you have are 'chains' like 'Super Auto Service Center' (freakin' idiots). Look for a place that services Disco's and go from there... that's what I did.

But back to your brakes... David is right, that's literally one of the easiest tasks on the D, you may just want to get a set of wrenches & tackle it. I think all you really need is a 13mm wrench. Once you start, there's no stopping ...

N

Old September 30th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Christine...what is the labor rate you are paying, and are they doing brake rotors at the same time?
Rob
Old September 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Rover- Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Christine...what is the labor rate you are paying, and are they doing brake rotors at the same time?
Rob
I belive it's about $ 65.00 no more than that, I had them work on the truck
before and they do good work, however... like I said
it' just seemed a bit steep for what they want for the whole job.
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:05 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Christine,

Dig this...invest your money in a shop manual and a set of wrenches. Seriously, you'll be glad you did. I'm not going to tell you it's going to be an easy job, because "easy" is a reletive term. But it will be a nice projecct for you to tackle first. You can do it.

I'm on my 4th Land Rover now, and my 2nd Defender. The first truck I owned (a '97 Disco) I never touched mechanically, just hired out everything including oil changes. The second truck, a '95 Range Rover Classic, I began to try and tackle more jobs myself, but with all the electrics, air suspension, etc., I still hired out a lot of work. On my '94 D-90, I mean Yousef's new '94 D-90, I did a lot more work on it myself. More than I hired out, I'm sure. Now with my new Defender, I plan on doing every thing that I can to it myself, including some body work in my garage. On the fly...learn as I go. ( I don't know shit about Diesels either, but I'm all in.)

Long story short, due to the complexity of the job, some things naturally will require you to send it to the shop. But if it's something as simple as axel seals and brake pads...spend the money on tools that you'll keep forever, and jump in there and get your hands dirty. D-90's are actually easy to work on if you source the parts yourself. And the more you work on your truck, the more proficient you'll be at it, and the more you'll learn and understand about your vehicle. (It'll make you love it more, too...)

Lastly, I have to agree with Ron..I love it when women talk dirty. In fact the only thing better than a woman talking dirty, is a woman getting dirty. Do the work yourself, get dirty, take pics (of you AND the truck...lol) and post 'em here! ;-) You can do it, we're all pulling for you.

Good luck.
Old September 30th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'm not sure if labor is all the high cost in this case. Most mechanics don't exactly go price shopping on parts. Since the aftermarket parts supply isn't too good, they may have gone to the dealership. That, and anytime you start doing more than just brake pads, for some reason it starts to get REALLY expensive.

If it's a front caliper they are replacing... they can easily cost $400 EACH. Rears over $200 each. Only a couple places carry the rebuilt calipers, none of which are normal sources of parts for mechanics.

Maybe when George at RoversDownSouth gets back up and running you can give him a ring and see if he know of any good shops in your area that he can recommend. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. That, plus he's close to you, (New Orleans) so it wouldn't hurt to develop a friendly relationship with him as a parts supplier.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:23 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Christine, I agree with all that was said above. The particular tasks you said that need to be done are relatively simple, so it is a great time to learn how to do them on your own and save some $$$, plus gain experience. You can have some bonding time with your D-90.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:46 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

Buy some tools. They are awesome...if you buy good ones you'll never go wrong. Someone once said
"Tools give you power over interesting things." Tools. They need almost no care, they eat nothing, can get you out of a jam, and if you at least buy Craftsman, when you somehow mangage to break one, they give you a new one....no questions asked. What else has that many positives? And while you are working with them, remember, if whatever you are doing is a bitch, you probably aren't doing it right.
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:14 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

For $849 I will mail you an entire rear axle assembly.

Seriously, that is about right based on book time for that job and retail on parts. If it is the inner seals, you have to tear the axle down to the case. If it were me, I would simply replace the outer seals with the double lip style (throw on new rotors while you are there) and be happy with oil in the hubs.

EDIT: who cares if hubby can't work on the truck, you can learn. It is easy. For 849 you can buy a compressor and an impact gun and the job will go easy (caliper bolts are a bit tough and you cannot get a gun on them though)
Old October 1st, 2005, 10:22 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover- Girl
I hate 2 say this but its true...
I told him " If you knew how to fix a fucking vehicle ( like most men )
then I would not have to fucking hire someone else to do the job"!

Christine
Well if that's how you feel, I guess you're not one of those woman who believe in woman's lib. Not a believer that a woman can do anything a man can do, despite the fact that this is YOUR hobbie? That being the case, while he learns how to do these simple fixes on your truck, you can always put on a nice dress, bake him a pie and make him some lemonade.
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Well if that's how you feel, I guess you're not one of those woman who believe in woman's lib. Not a believer that a woman can do anything a man can do, despite the fact that this is YOUR hobbie? That being the case, while he learns how to do these simple fixes on your truck, you can always put on a nice dress, bake him a pie and make him some lemonade.
Uh oh. For some, even a woman having an opinion about what she wants in a man is not PC enough. Womens lib means she gets to do what she wants, if that includes marrying a real man, so be it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM
jimbemotumbo
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon

Tech Manual on CD

I bought a service manual on ebay for about $15. Covers all models through 2003, and also has all the service tech references, including shop estimates for various jobs. I usually do my own work, but sometimes that just isn't possible due to limited free time. This has proven very helpful ... you can quote or print from the factory references and your mechanic / service mgr should know you are well informed. May help. Best of luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions