Kumho Road Venture AT KL 61's - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Scott Gillespie
1997 D90 SW/ST
Kumho Road Venture AT KL 61's

Just got my first D90 and it came with some pretty shot BFG MT's. Since I don't plan to do much, if any, off-roading for awhile (and the MT's are ridiculously loud on the road!), I called Tire Rack to order some BFG AT's. They strongly encouraged me to consider the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61's, which get amazing reviews and are cheaper, too ($146/tire). Does anyone have any experience with these? They don't pop-up when searching on TR.com via vehicle, as I guess it is a Q-rated tire and LR recommends min. R-rated. I live in Tahoe and drive weekly in deep snow 6 months of the year, so have had Q-rated tires on my cars before. Can't imagine this D90 ever doing anything even close to 99mph, so not sure the Q-rating is an issue, but would love any input out there. I guess it is a C (6-ply) tire, too, with a lower load rating, but still seems adequate? Thx.

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90
Old tires are usually noisy, regardless of pattern. Those tires are likely out of round as well. I like heavy duty tires on something like a defender because they just take a lot more abuse. A defender will never be a quiet, comfortable car. My set of BFG MTs had over 100k miles. When pulled off, it was amazing how many nails were in each tire. If you buy suv tires, they'll last half as long, will not take abuse, and the truck won't really be nice, quiet, and smooth.

Fwiw, my new set of Michelin xzl's feel really nice, and those are true truck tires.
"Uhh...I think they all leak like that."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions