Kumho KL71 tires? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Kumho KL71 tires?

I was thinking about getting these in a 285 to replace my 265's, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Noise, wear, grip, etc
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:01 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I just got Michelin LTX AT/2 for the dodge, I like them, might put them on the 110 too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Tom i have just bought a set for my 90, was very impressed with them on a mates 90, the reviews rate them highly joint 1st in a LR Mag tyre test with the BFG MT.

I'd say a bit quieter on the road than a MT though i'm building a rag top so cab noise is not an issue
the biggest drawback being the KL71 is a directional pattern.

I'll post a pic when i get them mounted.

Regards

Gren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Thanks, I'd love to see some pics.
I'm starting to lean towards the Nitto grappler.
They come in a Load Range D, the Kumhos only come in the E. I've been told the E's may ride a little harsherer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T
hi Tom i have just bought a set for my 90, was very impressed with them on a mates 90, the reviews rate them highly joint 1st in a LR Mag tyre test with the BFG MT.

I'd say a bit quieter on the road than a MT though i'm building a rag top so cab noise is not an issue
the biggest drawback being the KL71 is a directional pattern.

I'll post a pic when i get them mounted.

Regards

Gren
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Nitto Grappler??? plenty of better tires than that on the market. BFG, Cooper,Even the General AT2, dick Cepek, etc.
E load is more stiff but in a short wheelbase D90, I don't think you will notice the difference.

To me Nitto Grapplers look like they belong on 22 inch Dubs. Not a real off road type tire.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What exactly do you want the tire to do? Do you have any criteria other than it be cheap?

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I'll be driving it everyday, so it needs to good on the road, and I'm looking for a semi aggressive tread.
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Then get a nice set of BFG's - the tread lasts longer than the sidewalls. The AT's are a bit more well-mannered on the road, and the Mud Terrains are more aggressive, its just a question of how you think you'll use it more off road. If you want to air down and run around on the beach or just drive dirt roads, then AT's will be fine. If you want to run some muddy trails or just look knobbyier, the the MT's are for you. The extra 30-40 bucks spent per tire will not seem like anything at all when you're still rolling on the BFG's for 60k-plus miles.

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

If you go BFG then get the MT's. The AT's are good but the tread will really let you down in the mud. although I think the AT tread is better for snow which might be helpful in NY. The MT's look better.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The Japanese and Korean off road tires look best on a lifted 2wd pickup. One nice feature is that once all the tread is worn off, and you are driving around on slicks, you can still admire the bitchin' tribal and flame patterns molded into the sidewalls.

Old May 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Tom, I have a set of brand new, never mounted, Maxxis Bighorn tires, 265/75 that i want sell. PM me if you are interested.
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:58 PM
LexCombs
Lex Combs
95 D90

I happen to be an expert here. Literally. I own 3 tire stores in Arkansas. I would recommend the BFG AT. If cost is an issue, the General AT2's perform well. I have 285/75R16 Generals on my D90.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
They may be a little cheezy, but I kinda like the sidewall pattern. And I do own a japanese pickup, but its 4 wheel, when it works.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

I had the General AT2's on my LR3, they worked very well lasted a long time.
If you like a crazy sidewall check these out http://www.dickcepek.com/images/Crusher_Radial.jpg
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, that's cheesy, but if that is your requirement, then go for it. We just reserve the right to point and laugh if it comes out all wrong.

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:51 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
its a toss up? get laughed at when I post pics, or the couple a times a year I hope to wheel it,
or be the envy of all the local LI guido's and their pimped out Jeeps.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Tom

I recommend the BFG MT KM2s in the 285 size.
I've seen your truck and it deserves Mudders and not ATs

I've got the BFG AT in 265 right now and will be getting the 285 BFG MT KM2s when they are done (or if I get tired of them)
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Is upgrading to 285s from stock 265s a problem, i.e. rubbing, driveline/gear strain, etc.? I'm looking at getting the KM2s but none of the popular tire sites carry 265s. I think you have to special order them.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I have 5- 265 75 16's Kumho road ventures i think

Follow-up Post:

I still leaning towards the Kumho KL 71's but I'm still doing some research. I appreciate all the input, except Todds, he just wants his favorite tires on the truck when he tries to buy it back!
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Raleigh D90
Ben
Somewhere Across Town

I have the KM2s and they are louder than the ATs, but quieter than the standard MTs. Long run opinion is go for 285s in either the KM2s or the ATs. Further, base your opinion on how much highway driving you do. More highway driving... get the ATs... or if you go off road regularly, get the KM2s.

Spending your money is fun...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire, tires