Koni Raid adjustment: suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Koni Raid adjustment: suggestions

Any suggestions on HOW MUCH to adjust my new Koni Raid shocks from anyone who has them installed on his Defender?

They can be continuously adjusted, from zero (full anticlowise position = soft) to 2,5 turns (full clockwise = stiff). The thing is you need to take them off the truck to adjust them so I thought it would be bettter to ask for advice first.

Since I never used Koni shocks before I thougt it would be better to hear the opinions of those who have these same shocks so that I start by trying something closer to my expectations.

Is full-clockwsie to stiff?

I use my D110 as a daily city driver + to do some medium duty rock-crawling during weekends + travelling heavily laden on strongly corrugated roads so the setting would need to be able to cope with all this demand.

I understand Doug has them, any advice?
Thanks
Santiago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hi Santiago,
The Raid shocks are designed to be set to your vehicle base line at full soft and are incredibly overbuilt. The adjustment procedure is designed to compensate for wear after many, many kilometers of hard use. As a Koni distributor, if anyone wants a set, let me know!

John
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Thank you John!
So I should set them at the softest setting possible? Otherwise they will be too hard?
By the way they look HUGE and very well built.
How long should they last with normal use (no serious abuse)?

Cheers,
Stgo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, absolutely at the lowest setting. With your use they might last indefinitely. RAID dampers have something like double the oil volume of a normal shock and are currently in use on many of the support cars on the Dakar race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Thank you John!
So I should set them at the softest setting possible? Otherwise they will be too hard?
By the way they look HUGE and very well built.
How long should they last with normal use (no serious abuse)?

Cheers,
Stgo
Old February 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Santiago
Santiago Gigola

Excellent John, thanks a lot!

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions