KM2 Blow out - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 16th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Capt Milks
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25
An outward bubble on the sidewall can either be cord overlap or a impact damage that has separated the sidewall cording allowing air to push it out. Shortcording will cause a depression in the sidewall. The shortcording and cord overlap are not a defect in the tire. But the bubble in the sidewall caused from impact damage isn't good.

Doug, I am glad you fared well from the tire blow. The problem is, however, by the time you were able to get the truck stopped the damage to the tire was done in such a fashion that it is hard to tell what caused it. Sucks what ever the reason.

The KM2 you have has a "Q" speed rating, 99 MPH.

Land Rover 110
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post

The KM2 you have has a "Q" speed rating, 99 MPH.

haven't gone there.....according to Garmin my top speed to date in the 130 is 83mph. Picture down a mountain grade with a 110 on the car trailer-pretty much the way I pulled up to your house.

Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
Doug, glad you are okay!

Charles, change that damn tire! we talked about that thing two weeks ago!
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I've never heard of BFG MT's blowing out. That's about the toughest sidewall I know of.
Tough sidewalls can be the cause of blowouts and not the solution to the issue. Radial tires work well because of their thin supple side walls. A when a tire flexes it generates heat. The thin sidewall of a radial tire is designed to dissipate the heat. An underinflated or overloaded tire can generate enough heat to delaminate the tire. Often you can't tell by inspection that it has an issue, but sometimes a bubble will appear.

BFG beefs up their sidewalls on the radial to prevent rock damage, but there is a compromise because of it.

Check your sidewall tire temperature sometime after extended offloading when you air down to 12 psi or so. It may surprise you how hot it gets at low speed driving, especially with BFG's.

That said, I love my BFG A/Tís never failed me YET

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions