Keying all the doors the same (sides + rear) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Keying all the doors the same (sides + rear)

so one of the things that i would like to do is key all the doors the same and get rid of the need to have the small silver key for the rear door. I noticed on the RN site there is a set of 3 matched lock cylinders with 2 keys advailable -

the question: the rear latch uses the same part# as the Pass door - any reason why the stock (black/long) key would not work if you replaced the cylinders?
the end result would be a single key for all door locks and the ignition.

Obviously i'll have to match the keys to ignition (i'll rekey the all the latch cylinders to use the orignal key is the plan,which will keep the key code the same, etc)

Thoughts/experiance with this?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

RDS George sells a set of locks, including the ignition, that has one common key. As far as your current situation, all of the exterior locks can easily be keyed alike. Take the one lock that's different (sounds like the rear door) to a good locksmith in your area. He'll be able to key that one lock to match your 2 side doors. As far as your current ignition lock, there's no way to make it the same as the doors.

20 years as a locksmith,
Dennis
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Thanks Dennis - the rear door won't except the normal long key but they are basically the same ridges from the except for the first 1/8" or so.

i look at geoges site - that would work for me as well

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

To make all door locks match the ignition key you need new style door handles and barrels. The barrels you currently have are not deep enough for the ignition key. You need new handles because the new barrels are much bigger and won't fit into the opening.

Safarirover supplied me with all the parts.
Old March 5th, 2009, 07:52 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

or you could just carry the small silver key!
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Just curious, who actually locks there doors. I have a ST and I never lock the door. Even with the full top on which isn't often I figure I would rather have someone open the door and steal my shit than cut my top up and still steal my shit.

I guess if you a SW that would be different.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Just curious, who actually locks there doors. I have a ST and I never lock the door. Even with the full top on which isn't often I figure I would rather have someone open the door and steal my shit than cut my top up and still steal my shit.

I guess if you a SW that would be different.
I tried that method... Didn't work. They STILL ripped my top open. The best part is they actually ripped right next to the zipper instead of just unzipping it. Idiots.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

so the Anti-Burst Type (looking at RN' site since they have the best web presence currently)
$56/each (1 Lh, 2 Rh for side and rear doors) + 3 barrels
so a little less than $200 then.

is this the same part that you are refering to? or the old part that will be too short?

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

There is someone who sells complete lock cylinder sets with varying numbers of locks on Ebay.co.uk

I haven't looked in a while, but there always used to be sets on there already keyed alike very inexpensively. I don't think they would match the ignition, but you could have all the doors the same then.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

humm the barrel are pretty easy to source and cheap (should also be easy to rekey)
the question i feel is really the rear door latch - will it accept the new barrels (sourced for RN) or do i need to buy another RH door latch for the rear (they are listing as the same part # on RN's site)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

i thought i would update the forum on what happened. Since i find a lot of valuable info on them others might have a similar question or need.

---------

So Sucess... All of my doors including the rear now work on the ignition key. So i do not have to use the small "door key"
what i did....

Effectively nothing, First i went to landrover and had 2 new style (TD5/Puma) keys made which were in stock and are really a huge improvement on the originals, not to mention huge solid keys, then i went to locksmith to see if i could rekey the rear door barrel and with a little oil and some force initially the key works just fine. initially i thought that it was too wide to fit in the slot however this was jsut the spring loaded door on the keyhold being stuck with grime.
The 2 keys are different (valleys, etc, not exactly sure since he was using locksmith jargon, which i proptly forgot). but similar enough to work with the "loose" locks used in the Defender.

i now will return all the stuff i bought to redo the barrels and use the latch to replace the passanger side one which is rusty.

Give it a try......YMMV however since these things are "Made by Hand" who knows but i worked for me.
I'm down to 2 keys from 4 (a pet peev of mine i guess) the ignition and the toughy console.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Lets see a pic of the new style key - I have some good pix of the two different kinds of locks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My series land rover key worked in two other lock cylinders I had from other series trucks, I guess nothing has changed.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...id=18432&stc=1

why is the [IMG] [/IMG] tag disabled in vbulletin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D90-New-Key_Web.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	18432  

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 30th, 2009, 03:00 AM
plainolejeff
jeff sep
97 D90

Hhhmmm...I really like those keys. Unfortunately my dealer has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. Is there a parts # available? Thanks.

jeff
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

my invoice shows part #
CWE500390 (2 Keys)

cost was $43.81

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$44!

Omg!
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
plainolejeff
jeff sep
97 D90

Each or for the pair? Thanks.

jeff
Old September 15th, 2009, 11:52 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I went over to my dealer and gave them the code for the updated key. They had it in stock but it was $48.00 for just one key. He did not have a set listed so they just sell individually at $48.00. The parts manager couldn't believe it was that much for a standard key with no chip or electronics. He said that is more expensive than any other standard key he has ever heard of. Still...it looked like a cool key. Big upgrade over the standard key. I didn't pick it up though, too expensive for me.
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

That new style key looks too big and bulky, I like the original key as it is small and slim.

Now if they had a flip key like the VW I would be all over that but I will stick with my old school 90 key for now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, sides