Key won't come out . - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Key won't come out .

Hello all.

I performed some semi-major surgery on my truck today with an unintended consequence.

The symptoms: when I stand next to the car and turn the key, the engine starts. The seat belt reminder chimes normally, and then either it or another chime emits a steady tone until the engine is shut off. If I sit in the truck with the seat belt buckled, I get the steady tone from the moment the key is turned to start the engine. When I shut the truck off, the key will not rotate all the way counter-clockwise, and cannot be removed. If I pull the negative lead from the battery, I can then remove the key.

Today I removed the center console and the instrument cluster to run some wiring to some accessory switches that I am adding to the panel on the left side of the steering wheel. None of that wiring is hooked up yet. It has only been run.

I drilled a hole through the bottom of the dash just underneath the panel where the switches will go, but I was careful not to nick any wires.

I can imagine two or three possible causes. I did have to wrestle the console out and back in. There's a chance I could have wriggled something out of place at the fuse panel. I gave it a look and wriggled everything, but it looks okay.

Also, when I removed the center console I noticed a tiny nut and bolt under the gear selector. Maybe something in there is loose that's not supposed to be.

Finally, when I unplugged the instrument cluster, I had not disconnected the battery beforehand. I don't know if that did anything.

Can you help? I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

IF your's is an automatic it sounds like it's not all the way in park (shift inter-lock problem) at the shift mechanism.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Problem solved. Evidently there is a lockout switch on the high-low shift lever also. I guess I nudged the lever when I was unscrewing the high-low shift knob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dunce_cap.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	53058

Thanks for the speedy reply gentlemen. Yes, it is an auto. Happily it turned out not to be something that would require me to remove the console again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
While you have everything open, I highly recommend removing both interlock solenoids on the Tcase and the shifter.
Everything is all buttoned up. But now that I've done it once, pulling the center console again wouldn't be such a chore. I've always felt that one day that interlock solenoid would leave me stranded somewhere. Is it common?

Is removing them pretty straightforward? Any downside?
Old June 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Mine is a daily driver, guess it's 15 years old now, 141,000 + miles, never had an interlock problem.
Old June 16th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Have you forgotten the value of the rigs? Much easier to steal without the inter-lock, put the Zf in any gear, wheels now roll, and tow it away. The interlock purpose has a high anti-theft quality to it.
Old June 16th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
No, I didnt forget. If its going to be towed away, the interlock wont stop it. I would argue the opposite, that having the key stuck in the ignition, makes it much easier to steal.

-Jeff
And like I said, I've never had mine malfunction in 15 years. The malfunction in this thread was due to Captain Spalding not having the TC in gear.

Then there's the case where the young person who wants to be like the driver/owner of the D90, who plays around with the shifter, pulls it out of park (because the interlock has been disabled) and rolls it out of the driveway into traffic of into the neighbors house across the street.

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2012 01:59 PM ------

------ Follow up post added June 16th, 2012 02:00 PM ------

OPEN QUESTION ??

How many out there have had their interlock fail to the point of having to remove the center console and figure out the issue ? How muck time that that take you ??

(PS, I could do mine in under 30 minutes,and be back on the road)
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Well, we're wading a bit deep into the philosophical pond here. I have some things to say, but I don't want to offend either of you. I appreciate that you chimed in on this thread.

It would be interesting to know how many folks have had trouble with the interlock system and I think the poll is a splendid idea. Not meaning to be blatantly contentious, just because someone says that interlock system failure is common doesn't mean it is, no more than someone saying that his interlock hasn't failed in 15 years means that the majority of them are reliable. Perhaps we would get a higher number of poll responses if the question were given its own thread.

@ Jeff - the interlocks do serve a purpose. But if you're right and they do fail often it might be worth it to do away with the added safety for the sake of avoiding the inconvenience.

@ Dennis - I appreciate that your interlock system hasn't let you down in 15 years, but I think you overweigh your statistical sample because it is your truck. While for me this particular case is a matter of the TC not being in gear, there are many occasions when I've gotten into the truck and turned the key only to have the truck not start. Some combination of removing and reinserting the key and shifting out of Park into some other gear and back into Park will resolve the issue, but it's very disconcerting and makes me suspect that it's only a matter of time before my truck strands me. Has it been enough to make me disconnect or remove all the interlocks? No. But the first time I'm stranded, I'll pull it all out.

As for the safety benefit: my other car is a VW Thing. No safety interlock. Just a gear shift and an emergency brake. The kids haven't sent the car down the driveway yet. . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions