Kaput after h2o crossing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Kaput after h2o crossing

After crossing an obstacle with enough h2o to come over the bumper I proceded for appox'ly 15 minutes when the thing just quit. When attempting to restart there is a clicking/chirping sound from under the passenger dash. This clicking lasts for about 5 sec. then it turns over but doesn't get any gas and won't start. I know the ECU is on that side and I tried the reset the relay and bypass it. Nothing! I will say this though. That Land rover roadside assistance is awesome. They picked me up in the woods and towed me back home 2 1/2hrs. Yes towed
What do you guys think? Fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Some wet Lucas (electrical) part would be my guess. I hope it is not to expensive....Dave
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I agree with Dave, a wet Lucas Electronic is probably not letting you start your truck. Check your stepper motor as well.

I did this on my Discovery a couple years back. We were able to get it to start but it ran like crap and I was 65 miles away from home. So I had AAA flatbed it to my house. I put in new spark plugs, air filter, 1 doze of fuel injector cleaner in the tank and cleaned the heck out of my stepper motor. Then the truck ran fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Are if you are not getting gas then it could be as simple as a bad fuse for the fuel pump. It could also be a wire running to the fuel pump, it may have shorted to ground when it got wet. But if the fuel pump relay died it could have also taken out the fuse. By the odd sound I would say the relay bit the dust.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

thanks guys for the input but the diagnosis is in. Alternator!! Now the Question is, Why? And how do you guys protect your alternator if you do?
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HHHMMM my alt is on the top side of the engine. It should stay pretty dry unless you are standing in water with the fan spinning.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

OK new alt. and it starts just fine. But, after sitting for >24hrs it started b/4 putting in a new alt. Replaced anyway (dealership said it was bad and that land Rover warranty is really good so far), and the thing runs fine. But, now athe check engine light comes on. Checked it out at the dealership and it said engine malfxn, not running on all cylinders. It is obviously running on all 8cyl (not missing at all). We reset the light and after about 20 miles it came back on. Any ideas?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Mine was running on 7 cylinders for awhile before the true problem was found. It never missed just smelled of fuel. My check engine light came on quite a few times due to bad O2 sensors. Both replaced twice. Check the intake gassket on mine that had failed and was leaning the one cylinder to the point of not firing.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Quick question back about the ECU. How can i "water-proof" the seat box so that no water gets in there. Is it alright to use silicone and seal it up, or does it need to vent... Or is there a way to waterproof the ECU itself somehow? I just looked in there and there is a bunch of dirt, so my guess is there could easily be some water sometime soon. Any help would be appreciated...
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I don't know about the box it self as even if the bottom is sealed water can still get in the top. But I put mine in a ziplock bag and taped the end up good.
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Mike, did you check to make sure water didn't ingress into the Passenger side box? Make sure it's clean in there.

As far as sealing it. Their is no easy way (or rather no sure method). I think the plastic bag or small pelican case would work the best. Sealing that box up is very difficult. You have to seal all of the seams at the bottom, as well as the two large grommets on the side and back. Even then, as Mike said, water can still come in through the top. But I guess you have bigger problems at that point. You might be better off moving the entire unit farther up the body.

Old April 29th, 2004, 10:14 AM
dante18
Dante
None

Kris, I found a shallow rectangular tupperware that fit my ECU perfectly. Mounted the ECU in it with the ECU mounting bolts going out the backside (bottom) of the tupperware. I then mounted it to my footwell (94). Cut a hole in the top for the wiring and snapped the lid on, no problems for the last 2 years (knock on wood). Before I did this I went through 3 ECU's in as many years. I imagine you could do the same with yours in the seat box.
Old April 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Thanks for the responses
So basically, there is no way to seal it, but the next best thing is to just put the ecu in some kind of water proof container elevated off the floor of the box. Is there any way to relocate the ECU to a higher place(probably not without major modifications). Ill have to think of something creative, THanks again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions