Just replaced clutch; throw out bearing rattle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Just replaced clutch; throw out bearing rattle

Hello all- (long time since I reared my head for some of you)

I just got done replacing my clutch. Did everything- pressure plate, disk, throw-out bearing.

So I took it for a little test drive down the road with the transmission tunnel off and i'm getting what sounds like throw-out bearing rattle. When I get on the gas I'll get one particular rattle/knocking type sound and at higher speeds when I disengage the clutch I get another typical T/O bearing rattle sound. Not 100% of the time though. I don't want to believe I pooched any of the parts during install but I suppose it's quite possible. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the tiny little plastic clip that is used to hold the T/O bearing to the lever "during installation only" (according my manual). Is the rattle coming from the lever pulling the bearing back when I let the clutch engage and when it (the plastic clip) eventually breaks off and leaves the bearing against the fingers the sound will go away?

Everything feels great mechanically; it just sounds like ass. A great sign I'm sure.

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It sounds like you forgot my most hated LR part ever. The plastic staple.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Sorry - I should have called it by it's proper name.. the plastic clip I was referring to above is the staple. The new one was definitely installed and was holding the bearing in right before I started jostling the whole tranny into place with a too-fast electric winch attached to a forklift stuck in the passenger door. Next time I'm going to use a proper tranny jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sorry, I should have read closer. Its easy to make the staple fall out if you play with or disturb the mechanism during install. I was lucky in that i dropped my trans in from the top when the body was off and I was able to fit it together slow and steady.
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Okay.. so going with this theory.. You think maybe the staple fell out and the bearing lost its seating up against the two slippers? If the slippers weren't seated properly on the two flat areas of the bearing then they would only be pushing against the T/O bearing lip. Would that be possible?
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Thats what I'd guess. I really only take on faith that failure to use the staple results in TOB rattle, I dont know exactly what happens.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

The shaft/tube that the TO bearing rides on needs to be clean and lubed as well. The bearing can become sticky and rattle as it slides on the shaft.

Were you been anyway?
JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

I'm pretty good about 'membering to clean my shaft. I don't like to leave it dirty and sticky. I did clean the old dirty grease off of it and put a nice thin film of lube per instructions in my manual.

Been driving it for the past day w/ the tunnel cover back on. I think the noise might be going away or settling down. Either way mechanically it's on the money.

Pendy: Got sucked into the computer work pretty bad for the last couple years or so. Just quit my job... Been getting greasy in the parents barn full time now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, clutch, rattle