Just put on the XCL/Wolf Take-offs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Just put on the XCL/Wolf Take-offs

Ordered a set of the Michelin XZL 7.50/16 tires on Wolf rims from Safari Rover (the ones that originated from the armored truck builder in Auburn, AL).

My BFG MT's were long past due for replacement. Each of them had several nails/screws in them, dry rot, and rode like hell. The rears were first gen with at least 100k on them, and the fronts were KM1's with about 60k.

Based on all the comments, I expected the XZL's to ride like old military tires - high pitch whine and rough ride. Granted they are brand new, but these are by far the most quiet tires I've had on a truck. The ride is pretty smooth as well. They measured over 31", taller than the worn BFG's, but obviously more narrow.

The wheels are painted white, and I like the way it looks more overall classic/purposeful and less toy. You don't find too many traditional style mud tires anymore. The tire and rim combined are very heavy.

Ideally, I wish the tires were a bit larger. The skinny look is fine with me, but wouldn't mind a bit more width and height. The next size up 8.50/16 is almost a 34", and my garage wouldn't take it. Too bad they don't make an 8.00/16.

Haven't tried them off road, yet, and don't know how they hold up. So far, though, I'm pretty happy with them.
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Off road, XZL's are the dogs bollocks! a very good tyre. like you say, quite heavy, but good in mud.

You'll be suprised how good the side slope grip is too.

And being 7.50 and quite skinny, they look very "factory" (well, they are on Euro rovers)
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The additional reason for them is they are steel sidewalls.
Old December 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I meant to mention earlier... you can also get 235/86/16 XZL's, they have a slightly different tread pattern, but obviously being 235's are a little wider than 7.50's
Old December 12th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Back in college during the early 90's I ran the older style Buckshot Mudder Radials on my Jeep. They had used the long forgotten sizing system of letters, and mine were approx 32 x 9.5 IIRC. Tall and skinny mud tires in traditional tread patterns are harder to come by these days. Wish Michelin would bring these stateside and open up the size range.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fs