jump vs bench seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

jump vs bench seats

so I bought my first D-90 and need to put seats in the back. this is a work horse though and i am always hauling biggish and heavy (farm stuff/animals) around in the back. Before I buy seats I am curious as to what your thoughts are....I've read other threads and see some switch from bench to jump seats or visa versa. Just curious as to why you decided to do that? I've scoured my brain but may have missed something - need all the practicle reasons. I'm leaning towards bench myself just because i can get the seat up in one quick easy sweep. I do have 3 kids (11, 12, 16) and as a mom want them to be safe. If they do ride in the back it is mostly short distances. I have read the bad reviews about inward facing seats so was wondering if it is possible to put the harness belts in the back and once again if that makes sense? ANY advice is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

The members here with children seem to prefer the forward facing back seat from a safety standpoint. The station wagons with inward facing jump seats have seat belts, but require the proper bits under the wheel well to affix them.

Sorry, I have to ask...but where are there farm animals in Seattle? All I see are condos, Metro buses, Toyo Prius', and Volvo wagons with decaying John Kerry bumper stickers. LOL...

Welcome, by the way...
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Pat
Patrick M.
D90 '96 300Tdi 5 speed

I went from bench to inward facing jump seats + seat belts just because of how they look...
From a practical point of view I consider the bench option gives you more room for stuff.
For carrying people the only safe way are the forward facing seats + seat belts...
For your needs, considering just occasional very short distances low speed trips carrying your kids on the back I think a couple of benches is the best option (but remember it's not safe)...

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

hehe, that is funny cause you are quite right about Seattle...I live in Bridle Trails which is surrounded by cities. It is unique though in that we have a 500 acre park and lots of horse acre properties. I take my daughter to school and pick her up in the afternoons using my horses. Quite a blast when I see the drop off "drive thru" traffic at school - saves on gas too!!! So I'm always hauling horse grain/hay and then this weekend I'm helping my neighbour transport his 3 sheep in the back of "Beast-Lee". I will be sure to take some pics
...about the seat belts...do you know if the harness type seat belts would be an option for the back and if they would be safe to use for the kids?
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
We've been having this discussion at our house too as we have a kid on the way.

As pricey as they are I was leaning toward the Exmoor forward facing seats. I would be curious to hear any feedback on these too. If they are in fact "safer" then the bench seat.

I currently have a bench and like that I can remove it, but for a little one don't find it as secure as I would like. For the animals sake though the two bases that remain when I pull the seat are hazards for feet. I have some foam I wrap around them (pipe insulation from Home Depot) that my Dane seems to appreciate.

Welcome to the club, it's great to have anyother lady D90 owner.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofman
so I bought my first D-90 and need to put seats in the back. this is a work horse though and i am always hauling biggish and heavy (farm stuff/animals) around in the back. Before I buy seats I am curious as to what your thoughts are....I've read other threads and see some switch from bench to jump seats or visa versa. Just curious as to why you decided to do that? I've scoured my brain but may have missed something - need all the practicle reasons. I'm leaning towards bench myself just because i can get the seat up in one quick easy sweep. I do have 3 kids (11, 12, 16) and as a mom want them to be safe. If they do ride in the back it is mostly short distances. I have read the bad reviews about inward facing seats so was wondering if it is possible to put the harness belts in the back and once again if that makes sense? ANY advice is appreciated. Thanks
Lee,

Just keep in mind that it doesn't matter what kind of seatbelt you put on inward facing jump seats, they are still unsafe for their occupants in a crash, particularly for children, but for adults as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
We've been having this discussion at our house too as we have a kid on the way.

As pricey as they are I was leaning toward the Exmoor forward facing seats. I would be curious to hear any feedback on these too. If they are in fact "safer" then the bench seat.

I currently have a bench and like that I can remove it, but for a little one don't find it as secure as I would like. For the animals sake though the two bases that remain when I pull the seat are hazards for feet. I have some foam I wrap around them (pipe insulation from Home Depot) that my Dane seems to appreciate.

Welcome to the club, it's great to have anyother lady D90 owner.
Alexandra,

I don't know that the Exmoor fold out forward facing seats are particularly safer than the bench, except from the stand point of head restraint (since the bench is low, and has no head rests). It really comes down to the mounting points for the seat belts, and the position of the belts on your passenger's body. I don't know how old/large your kids are, but if the belts cannot be positioned properly, they should be in an appropriate booster at the very least. If they are under 65 pounds you could (and IMHO should) consider using a five point harness seat like a Britax Boulevard or similar...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
It was the head support that appealed to me and the way the seat belt is attached to the sear vs the rear pillar. For now we have a newborn so the bench isn't an option. Thanks for the info on the booster seat.

I have a friend who is State Patrol Trooper and although it isn't advisable, you can put a rear facing car seat in the front, as long as there are no air bags. We were discussing my Defender and the rear bench seat. She said that the center rear is of course the best place for a rear facing car seat but if I had to use the Defender that I could legally use the front seat and would probably be safer.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

anyone put in a bench that goes "accross" the tops of the rear wheel wells??

the FJ40's had a design like this that increased the size a little and kept the floor clear.
Old June 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I've got inward facing bench seats in mine (like from an 88) the kids love them and have even taken them on some long haul road trips...

As far as safety... depends on your comfort level, it's never going to be a mini-van or a volvo. Inward facing is generally always going to be worse in a head on collision then forward facing. Your kids are old enough that it's at least legal to put them inward facing and it's a heck of a lot easier to get them in and out of it using three doors instead of two.

It really comes down to what you're comfortable with. The inward is certainly much more practical and the fact that they're wearing seatbelts at all puts things well ahead of the standard just a few years ago...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bench, seats