Jump seat install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
rvasan
Ryan Vasan
1994 D90 AA Yellow

Jump seat install

I'm looking for a little help here on installing jump seats from a 97SW in a 94ST. I did a search on the forums and couldn't come up with the answer to my question, so I'm posting.

My question is regarding the seat back installation. I have four seats, and two of them have a bar going across the two vertical posts and extending a little bit, maybe four inches, beyond the side of the seat back, which acts as another anchor point to the side of the seats. One has this piece jutting out to the left and one to the right. I can't quite figure out which seat goes in what position on the tub, or if this bar is a piece that maybe isn't needed on the soft tops, since it is removable.

I'm also wondering, for those of you that have made this same install, did you have to drill anything into the side of the tub to secure the seat backs? If anyone has any photos of their trucks, especially the connection between the seat backs and the side rail I would really appreciate it.

As far as I know, in Winston there is only one SW that I've seen twice in the last two years, otherwise I'd just go right up to that truck and check it out. On another note, I saw a green 97ST with temporary tags this morning at the Y, does it belong to anyone here?

Thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 12:46 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I'm struggling with the same thing on my 110 right now.

I have four jumps out of a 97 SW and only two of the seatbacks have the horizontal bar across the back. I assumed that the other two were missing something, but now it sounds like they aren't.
My install will necessarily be different than yours as I have a roll bar support you don't, but at least we can confirm that we aren't missing pieces.
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

In the back of my '97 SW, the two seats that have a bar are in the ones that are right behind the front seats. The horizontal bar is basically an adapter bar. It bolts to the inside of the tub (inside of the capping) and has two holes with nuts that are welded to it. These holes/nuts match the proper location on the seat-back brackets for mounting. You can't see well from the attached picture (I'll try to take more in the next couple days). Hope it helps a little.

Correction: I don't remember now whether or not the holes have nuts welded to them, but I *think* they do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6868  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2006, 02:25 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
In the back of my '97 SW, the two seats that have a bar are in the ones that are right behind the front seats. The horizontal bar is basically an adapter bar. It bolts to the inside of the tub (inside of the capping) and has two holes with nuts that are welded to it. These holes/nuts match the proper location on the seat-back brackets for mounting. You can't see well from the attached picture (I'll try to take more in the next couple days). Hope it helps a little.

Correction: I don't remember now whether or not the holes have nuts welded to them, but I *think* they do.
Is it necessary to use that horizontal bar? What purpose does it serve?
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I believe it is necessary. The bar serves as an adapter. The holes in the tub/capping are not the correct distance as those on the seatback mounting brackets.
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:27 PM
rvasan
Ryan Vasan
1994 D90 AA Yellow

Thanks for the photo. I think the crossbar won't work on a ST because of the support cage coming down right in the middle of it. The fasteners of the cage to the tub are right in the way of the crossbar, so it can't sit flush. I'm going to take off the crossbar from those two seatbacks and give it a go this weekend.

-Ryan
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The little cross bar is a bit confusing to look at because the holes and everything don't look centered right as you might think they should be. That bar bolts into the capping through the plastic trim on the SWs to give the upper section of the seat its stability. You can see these bars in place in the 1st and 2nd pictures.

The 3rd and 4th pictures show the holes both in the actual skin with the trim removed as well as before.

The bottom sections of the seats are simply bolted through the bottom of the wheel well skin however, the seatbelt system needs to be attached to a support bar that runs on the underside and attach's to the rear support as seen in the 5th picture. I'm not sure if the STs have that bar but if you want seat belts for the jump seats, you will need that bar assuming the rear support of the SW have the tie in bracket as seen in that same picture all the way to the right.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasan
Thanks for the photo. I think the crossbar won't work on a ST because of the support cage coming down right in the middle of it. The fasteners of the cage to the tub are right in the way of the crossbar, so it can't sit flush. I'm going to take off the crossbar from those two seatbacks and give it a go this weekend.

-Ryan
Those bars don't really offer safety support, just the ability to mount the upper part of the seat back. If you wanted to, you could just drill another mounting hole further down the bar to bolt it to the tub and still use the bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	6882   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6883  

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	6884   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	6885  

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	6886  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 27th, 2006, 02:23 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Well by the time I realized that those bars were adapters i had already mounted the two seats with them in the truck. That meant that in order to have the second set of seats equally spaced I need to construct a similar bar for that set. Not too hard so I just fabbed up and painted a similar bar and put it in to match. In my case I'm drilling holes either way, so it's not a problem, plus I feel like the horizontal bar makes the seat a bit less prone to flex.

everything seems to line up decently well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010022.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	6907  
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
rvasan
Ryan Vasan
1994 D90 AA Yellow

Jack, looks like your 110 setup was similar to mine, what did you do for seatbelt support? Did you add anything underneath like in the stock SW setup? Also, did you just drill a side hole for your seatbelt attachment?

-Ryan
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasan
Jack, looks like your 110 setup was similar to mine, what did you do for seatbelt support? Did you add anything underneath like in the stock SW setup? Also, did you just drill a side hole for your seatbelt attachment?

-Ryan
I drilled a hole and installed big fender washers.

The reality is that those jumps, with just lap belts and in particular without a serious cage are not a completely safe place to sit.

I don't pretend otherwise.

But as far as the belts I did not add any plate.
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Mine were "Dealer Installed" just before I bought my D90. There is no addidtional bracket under the rear wheel well. They used standard washers. I replaced all the washers with 3mm thick stainless steel fender washers and also made rubber gaskets from HD pond liner to separate the stainless steel from the aluminum body tub.

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
redrover

Ryan the little zinc plated parts were in the sw top panelling. They are the spacers that hold the seat backs approx 1 inch away from the side wall mounting. They look like a 1 inch long tube that has a washer attached. JP
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Boone90
Mark Gilmore
97 D90 SW

I have question that pertains to the rear seat install issues. I noticed a bolt on passenger side over the rear wheel well close to the rear which attaches to the rear support underneath is starting to be pulled through the wheel well making the hole larger. To make matters worse the bolt is rusted tight. There goes my Sunday morning.

It looks like this bolt would have held the seat belt attachment closest to the back but the PO had taken out the rearmost seatbelt and mount and just left a small washer.

What size washer is needed to keep this bolt from pulling through? Same question for the other one closer to the middle of the wheel well that is also connected to the rear support and until recently held the dual seat belt mount in between the two seats.

At least on the driver side in the back I have both seats and all seatbelt mounts so the seat belt mounts are acting as huge washers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
jump seat