JSQ Hitch Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

JSQ Hitch Question

I see two holes on the bottom of the hitch plate-- are these intended to be used for bolts going vertically into the bottom of the cross member? Are they even used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I think those are for emergency backup chains that you tie to your trailer in case the ball hitch goes. I suppose you could build supports to tie them to the crossmember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I thought those are on the vertical plate-- I am talking about the horizontal plate that extends under the crossmember
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	94567  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Safety chains.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I thought those are on the vertical plate-- I am talking about the horizontal plate that extends under the crossmember
I have a SafariGard version of this receiver. It seems as if you are talking about the holes that are directly underneath the crossmember and line up with the existing threaded holes.

My advice - use them. I ran my SG for awhile without it. Until I had to get yanked out of a mud pit by Huff. Let's just say the plate steel on the SG is about the same thickness as JSQs....and we bent that sucker up about 15-20degrees! Though in all fairness it took quite a running start (several times) to yank me out.

Probably wouldn't have happened if I had the bottom bolts in. Managed to flatten it with a 20-ton press, and I now have the bottom bolts installed .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 10th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks--I just didn't know if I needed to use them or not, but it sounds from talking with JSQ that only the 4 bolts are necessary. I do plan to utilize the bolts on the bottom at some point but the reason I was asking is I have a 3/8" plate thar runs the entire length of the vertical surface on my rear cross member to add additional support/strength connecting my two corner protectors. It off sets my current dixon bates recovery point and, when I add the hitch receiver, it will offset the those lower holes by 3/8". I was seeing how much work I was getting myself into---and it sounds like I will probably have to elongate those holes.

Just intuitively I would think one would want to use those holes and I was a little surprised the kit only came with 4 bolts (hence the question). I know all the other receiver hitches for the Defender that I have looked at have cross braces that run out to use lower vertical holes. I decided to run the hitch with both a receiver and a recovery so I am less concerned with it for the time being... But I will definitely use those at some point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hitch