Jonesys Gearbox replacement - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 11th, 2015, 09:03 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
I will try to get my sorry arse to his place at 8am and get into it.

Figuring 4 hrs out and 4hrs in so hopefully (touch wood) will be driving it at 5pm with an hour for lunch.
So..... Reality time check now?
Start time was 9:30am and finish time was 1am?
That's be 11:30 of work including 2H for lunch and dinner (and whatever else happened under the truck based on the pics posted, there was a lot of that...).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand View Post
So..... Reality time check now?
Start time was 9:30am and finish time was 1am?
That's be 11:30 of work including 2H for lunch and dinner (and whatever else happened under the truck based on the pics posted, there was a lot of that...).
Yep - So what was supposed to be an 8hr job, became a little longer. I think the standing around talking about what to do after the gearbox was assessed was a loss of a few hours, but the beer and Pizza was good. But everyone felt like it took too long....I mean at one point we were hoping in Mikes truck for a 4hr Drive to Roberts to pick up his R380 Shorty. Until some cooler heads (Jeff & Grumpy Bill) prevailed and said - naaaah, she'll be right mate, don't worry about circlips

Charles will tell you it was because of all the extra cleaning we had to do, of my dirty truck - or that may just have been him needing the "whaaaaaambulance" .

But I will tell you all it was because of all Mikes farts all afternoon bring tears to our eyes - that boy has some bad seals
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, next project is a new rear main seal for mike.

I don't think estimating is our strong suit, but pretty much everything that could go wrong did, and that damn truck was filthy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
And don't forget some diff setting up as well .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old October 11th, 2015, 04:02 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post

I don't think estimating is our strong suit, but pretty much everything that could go wrong did, and that damn truck was filthy!
Or a 200tdi swap . . .
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:02 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Congrats Jonesy! What an epic come from behind WIN! Eff'n impressive how that situation was turned around through pure will.

Old October 11th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Thanks Clay - and thanks for your time helping in the am...you missed pizza beer and Mike's leaky seal...epic stuff
Old October 11th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Steps

Ok - Figured I would post up...

1. CLEAN Vehicle underneath, all nooks and crannies - with a toothbrush if Galpin is involved
2. Crossmember comes out
3. Exhaust comes off
4. Disconnect driveshafts at LT230 - not at Diffs
4. Disconnect LT230 linkages and wiring - sorta depends on vehicle - but Defender ROW have one wire for diff lock
5. Disconnect hand brake cable - take off the cable, not the bracketry (mistake we made)
6. Remove PTO cover (round cover) from LT230 and remove input gear - should pull out easy - inspect bearings & teeth - ensure all looks good
7. Unbolt LT230 and lower - a few niggly ones, but not too bad - only about a 70lb lump, so can be handled singly
8. Unbolt LT77 mounts and ring bolts to engine with it supported by trans jack - keep a jack on/under engine - it helps with removal.
9. undo Clutch cover and take off
10. remove clutch plate
11. unbolt flywheel (if that is hard then rebolt the cover and use it to beat on and lever the flywheel out - it can be sticky (assuming you are replacing the cover of course)
12. Inspect the main seal - leaks? Replace - no leaks - leave it
13. Take off the motor mount brackets from the frame - easier to reposition everything

Replace all parts with new ones in opposite order.

Note when reassembling the gearbox and TCase - put them together on the ground and ensure serviceability, set up linkage etc to ensure it all works. Then either take off the TC or if you feel tough and have enough hands put them both up together.

It think I got everything - others may post up corrections - additions
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:00 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
You guys are awesome.

Thanks for sharing the details of the project, well, most of them anyway

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions