Jointed rear radius arm installation question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2015, 12:11 AM
89Defender90
none
none

Jointed rear radius arm installation question

I put a set of Terrafirma rose jointed rear radius arms on the truck. My question is...do I install them to the same length as the originals or adjust them so the pinion angle is -1 degree? Does it matter? I'm inclined to use the adjustability to set the pinion angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

It depends on your driveshaft. If you're using the stock single-cardan setup you want the pinion to be parallel to the output on the t-case. If you have a DC shaft you're normally looking for about 1-2 degrees less than the angle of the driveshaft.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:24 AM
89Defender90
none
none

Stock single. Don't tell anybody, but I'm a Chevy guy. When you set the pinion angle, you typically want -1, but no more than -3, because when you accelerate, the rear diff will actually increase a degree or two from the torque......Not that the 80ish hp from the 2.5 petrol could possibly impart that much torque, but am I thinking the right way here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2015, 01:59 PM
89Defender90
none
none

Finally got around to adjusting the rear arms. I started with the new arms at stock length. I found that the axle was 1/8" closer to the frame mount point on the LH side. Starting angle at the transfer was 1 degree and rear pinion was 5 degrees. I ended up adjusting the RH side 3/8" longer and the LH side 1/2" longer to get the rear pinion to 2 degrees. I compressed the rear suspension about an inch to mimic a load, the transfer measured 1.5 degrees. Because of the way the radius arm end is welded off center, you can only do adjustments in a full turn at a time, if that makes sense. I tried to adjust the pinion further and it ended up 1 degree. After compressing the suspension it ended up still being 1/2 degree difference.

I'm curious to see if the LT hand mount point is actually welded 1/8" further on the frame than the RT side. I'll find out when I get an alignment.
Old March 28th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
You might take measurements from a few reference points. Try the transmission mount to your rear axle and see what that reads.
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:54 PM
89Defender90
none
none

Finally got the front arms on, so I took a measurement from front axle to rear axles...you guessed it, the Lt side is 1/8" farther away. So I adjusted the Lt rear arm back to the same length at the Rt side and now the axles are parallel to each other. I guess the Rt side front mount is 1/8" off too. At least all arms are the same length, I was starting to get worried. Now I'm wondering if the truck goes down the road sideways. I'm going to have my wife drive behind me and tell me. I guess I could let her drive and me follow...Nah, she'd probably drive it into the ditch!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation