jet hot - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

What do you use to wrap it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Asian chics use duct tape to get that extra boost. I think we can use this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-05-0001/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-350101/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Thanks for the link.

What are the benefits of wrapping the
manifold, other than the obvious cooler
engine bay ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Thanks for the link.

What are the benefits of wrapping the
manifold, other than the obvious cooler
engine bay ?
Hey,

Check this out: http://www.thermotec.com/faqs-about-our-products.html

I think all the talk about extra HP is hogwash. But thats just my opinion. It really just keeps things cool, and is good at it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

My 94 with supercharger has headers with blanket wrapping from summit and engine bay really reduce temp. For me I will install blanket wrapping to all V8 rovers I owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Just curious, anyone know if wrapping the exhaust would reduce temps too?
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Asian chics use duct tape to get that extra boost. I think we can use this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CMB-05-0001/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-350101/

lol.... good link. im trying it
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy View Post
lol.... good link. im trying it
Ebay has it for $45 shipped with the little ss ties.

I used the stuff from Vatozone and it was $50 with no ties.

Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I had both the headers in my corvette and rover jet hot coated. I am pleased with the job. I am getting a little rust on both after about 5 years, but besides that they seem to hold up well and definitely release the bay temp on both vehicles.
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:55 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
I had both the headers in my corvette and rover jet hot coated. I am pleased with the job. I am getting a little rust on both after about 5 years, but besides that they seem to hold up well and definitely release the bay temp on both vehicles.

where are you seeing rust on them? Is it where the coating has been scratched off or bubbling from underneath?
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcampbel@nas.edu View Post
5 years on the jet hot is a big win.
Cheapo chrome headers would have "blued" before you got out of your driveway and high heat header paint is an ongoing maintenance issue. (I went through a white header phase a long time ago - Fail.)

I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:42 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Garth wrote I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.

I with Garth on that one. Buck may know of Ed Hansen (great exhaust guy) in Spring Valley. He recommended NOT to wrap the manifolds due to accelerated deterioration. I did wrap the before and aft the converter on the Y pipe to try to keep the temperature down in the cab as it gets way hot on the feet in the summer.

Not really answering the question on engine bay temps as I did not take a before and after temp check on the engine bay prior to instaling the ceramic coated header install.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Garth wrote I am still not convinced that wrapping headers doesn't accelerate their deterioration, though.

I with Garth on that one. Buck may know of Ed Hansen (great exhaust guy) in Spring Valley. He recommended NOT to wrap the manifolds due to accelerated deterioration. I did wrap the before and aft the converter on the Y pipe to try to keep the temperature down in the cab as it gets way hot on the feet in the summer.

Not really answering the question on engine bay temps as I did not take a before and after temp check on the engine bay prior to instaling the ceramic coated header install.
It may or sure, and it may not. I have heard it may lead to cracking, and heard that it may not. Nobody knows for sure. The only thing that is for sure in this life is that us driving these trucks is directly killing polar bears.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I'm sorry buck, I have to admit i accidentally did hit a polar bear up by Palomar in the 90. Not pretty. The damn things wait on the side of the road and just WHAAMMMOOO jump right out in front of you.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:08 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand View Post
where are you seeing rust on them? Is it where the coating has been scratched off or bubbling from underneath?
On the vette headers it is on the top of where the 4 pipes come into the collector. They are sidepipes and that part is exposed to the elements and has like a crevice where the two pipes come together.

On the rover it is more where the header bolts go through the into the head itself. Right around there they are bubbling up some with some rust. It may be other places, but that is the only place that it is readily viewable.

B

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine wrap