Jeep Swing Away Carrier - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Jeep Swing Away Carrier

Any one have thoughts about modifying one of these for D-90 needs. It can't be that hard can it? I want a rear swing away bumper and corner protectors. No offense to the current folks that are making some really nice ones but $1,000 is a bit out of my budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Trailer supply store + welder + beer = ?
And I love you too
Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
blenkush
Severin Blenkush
97 D90 LE, 10 Lotus Exige S, 05 LR3

swing away carrier mods

My guess is that you'd spend about as much trying to mod a Jeep swing away (if any welding you can't do yourself is involved) as you would getting a Defender specific model. Some of the Defender tire carriers open with the door and others you need to open first - the latter being a lot less expensive if price is concern. At one point, DAP had some of the swing away type that were reasonably priced.

I've attached some photos of some inexpensive corner protection. A bit of angle iron and a flat piece of metal welded with some aluminum checker plate to blend in. Not as strong as one built into a bumper, but better than the rear quarter pannel. Good luck!

Cheers,
Severin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100060.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	34467   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100061.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	34468  

Name:	P1100062.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	34469  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 2nd, 2011, 08:53 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Tire carrier

Severin,
I currently have a modded stock carrier to fit a high lift jact and a jerry can, but want to take wieght or at least back and fourth movement off the ST door. I had a set of bolt on sill protectors but they did not stand up to Moab at all. So I did get rid of the stock step bumper. Rockware makes a nice kind of blade type with the sill protectors for around $550+ I think, but add the swing away stand and the price jumps to around $1,000. I search the dreadded craigslist and found a swing away for a jeet for about $375 locally. Just kicking around the idea.
Clay

------ Follow up post added January 2nd, 2011 09:55 PM ------

Those look like pretty good corner protectors - Nice job!
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:15 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan View Post
Severin,
I currently have a modded stock carrier to fit a high lift jact and a jerry can, but want to take wieght or at least back and fourth movement off the ST door. I had a set of bolt on sill protectors but they did not stand up to Moab at all. So I did get rid of the stock step bumper. Rockware makes a nice kind of blade type with the sill protectors for around $550+ I think, but add the swing away stand and the price jumps to around $1,000. I search the dreadded craigslist and found a swing away for a jeet for about $375 locally. Just kicking around the idea.
Clay

------ Follow up post added January 2nd, 2011 09:55 PM ------

Those look like pretty good corner protectors - Nice job!
I promised my factory carrier to someone on here a while back. I'm going to keep the promise, but I got sidetracked with the 1000hp 2011 Camaro project. I'm going to be finishing that up no later than mid February. After that, I will build mine that holds 2 jerry cans and a highlift. I'll make another for you for the cost of my parts and a 6 pack or something if you can wait that long. I've been slacking on Rover projects.
And I love you too
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:35 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I wanted to get the spare off the door of my 110. I went down to the local pick-an-pull and found a carrier off of a Nissan Pathfinder for $25. I was really looking for a latch to use for a carrier I was planning to build but with a little modification I ended up using most of the carrier too. I have made it so I can un-bolt the tire mount and bolt in a double fuel can carrier. The latch works great with no rattles and I only had to drill one hole to mount it. My roof rack comes all the way down to the frame so it is hinged to that but it could have been mounted to the body.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4552s.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	34474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4550s.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	34475  

Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Shane,
Thank you for the offer - Do you plan on using one that mounts to the truck or to a rear bumper? I kind-of looking for one that is mounted to a bumper to get the weight and rattle off the rear ST door. 1,000 HP Camaro sweet. I have been screwing with the wife's S60R - downpipe, airbox, 3in exhaust, software about up to 371hp est. IPD in Oregon is coming out with a Stage 1 kit with 425 (I would think at the crank), so may have to go that route but the wife keeps telling me to leave her car alone. I can't help it .
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I'm going 418 forged small block with a stage 2 blower cam and twin g35 turbos at 18psi. ADM fuel system and some serious axles. About half of that is done.

I'm mounting off the bumper and moving the spare higher and towards the passenger side as to not obstruct the lights while allowing room for 2 jerry cans to the left of the spare.
And I love you too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, wing