JB Weld - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
1995 D90
JB Weld

I am looking to tack weld the nuts to the plates and then the plates to the truck for my rear bench seat mounts. I hate needing a 2nd person to help me install the feet and remove them and the dog hates having them in the middle of the truck bed.

Would something like JB Weld be sufficient to hold all this together during the removal and installation process? I will replaced the bolts each time so I'm not expecting to be able to drive around with just the plates JB welded to the truck. I can't weld, don't have access to stuff to weld.

Old April 11th, 2010, 12:45 PM
barry f
94 ST #395
JB weld is pretty strong but I would tack weld or have the bolts tack welded to the plates. Then use jb weld to hold to truck. I think if you remove the bolts one at a time with replacing one beofre removing the second this should be fine.

learn to weld.

Old April 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
The making nut plates thing I understand, but you're not going to be able to weld the steel nut plates to the aluminum tub...

Anyone can make the plates you need pretty EZ if you just go to a sheet metal shop, ornamental iron place, or maybe you even know a muffler place you don't mind asking. Buy the metal strips at HD/Lowe's, cut, drill, get the nuts you want, and then just ask someone to tack them in place. Paint them after they're welded up.

WRT to attaching it to the truck, if you must, just rivet them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions