jack alternatives - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

jack alternatives

Just realized I've been driving around without a jack for the 110. It has a D90 rear bumper so the standard high jack doesn't fit in the holes - they're covered by the bumper. That's the machanical high jack that comes with a Euro version.

I assume the NAS 110 comes with a hydraulic job but I'm wondering if anyone's using a generic hydraulic? I mean, I'd rather find a used Explorer jack than a LR.

I'm also running 33" tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I have an generic hydraulic that is great. Better than the stock one that failed. Just about anything will do.

I welded a couple of short pieces of 1 1/2" tailpipe on the NAS bumper, to fit my hi lift pipe-style adapter. You can find the adapter at EE amoung other Rover accessory shops. Fits in the ARB and Mantec slots.

DW
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:26 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Yeah, I know a generic will do. Instead of measuring heights and looking up jack specs I was hoping someone's using a known, generic type that I can just look for.

I don't want a hi-lift, takes up too much space and is overkill for my application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:18 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The stock hydraulic is about the best jack I have seen. Small, has the cradle, goes really high . . . I love it.
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ron is right on; the stock jack is small and lifts high. I think Rangies have them stored under the hood, so check the wrecking yards. Also if you do get one make sure to store it upright as laying them on their sides kills them. And even if you have a high lift you should still have a bottle jack, I have been in several spots that a bottle jack was the only way to get out.
Old February 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

The stock ones are pretty good! They work well under water as well!! I do think the base is a little small so I carry a small peice of 3/4 ply to spread the load.
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

My rig had a "Lincoln, Model 93227, Range of 9" to 19 1/4", 5 TON capacity, series T" (right of the side) In it when I got it, and it actually extended higher than the OEM bottle jack by about an inch.

Question though..... how do you store the bottle jack (OEM Red One) "upright" in the compartment under the passenger seat? The rubber band that holds the jack in place is postioned to have the jack on its side ???

What happends to the jacks when they are "on their side" leaks? Air Bubbles? Thx
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:59 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I wouldn't store it in the set box anyway, no room because of other stuff. I'd probably put it in the toolbox in the rear area or upright in the engine bay (after puting it in a plastic bag).

Hey, if the stock jack needs to be upright or it will fail that's one more reason to go for something else. I doubt other major manufacturers today require their jacks to be stored in a certain angle.

I just looked up this Lincoln and it is operable horizontally.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac